Mandola Troubles

(Picture above was my inspiration)

The fire crackled and danced beside Will. It was the perfect night to begin his lessons with his mandola. A few months ago, on his seventeenth birthday, Evanlyn had given him it, in hopes that he could do something actually refined, (it was a joke between them). Will had been eager to play, but Halt had been putting him through the wringer for the past few weeks. Finally, he found time to play.

Along with the instrument, Evanlyn had given Will a lesson book. It had instructions on how to read the notes and play them, how to play on beat, and such. Will was intrigued, and not at all discouraged as he began reading, trying to understand the "musical" language.

The book instructed him to tune the mandola first, something that took Will fifteen minutes (and it still wasn't perfect), as he did not have someone to correct him.

Next, the book opened up to a simple song called, "The Old Maid's Problem." It was a stupid song about a grumpy old woman who couldn't be happy and how everyone got annoyed by her. It was short, too, maybe only a couple of notes long. But, as he was a beginner, it took WIll ten minutes to learn.

As he would pluck the strings, Halt would mutter words. Words that were quite...colorful. Finally, at the tenth time of the awkward twang! Of Will's strum, Halt snapped.

"Hey, you're getting pretty good, Will," he said in a forced cheerful tone, "do you take requests?"

"I just started, Halt. i barely know how to play," Will answered, narrowing his eyes. He could tell when Halt was about to insult him. It'd been two years of living with the grumpy, caring man after all.

"Well, I just thought that if you got such an ear for the music you'd be able to play anything."

Will blinked. "Alright," he said slowly, "what's the request?"

"Please stop," Halt said, all traces of humor gone, "I'm getting a massive headache from all the 'twang-ing'."

Will looked at him lazily. "Well, if I don't practice, or even start, how am I supposed to get better?"

Halt didn't respond. He only raised an eyebrow.

"Halt, you never know when I might need to know how to play!" Will claimed.

Halt rolled his eyes. "Sure, Will, I forgot. Knowing how to make headache is part of the Ranger's life."

Will spread out his hands. "What if I have to go on a mission that involves me being undercover as a jongleur, huh?"

"That's creative," Halt said in a dry voice.

"You never know," Will said, sniffing indignantly.

Halt rolled his eyes. And with that, Will promptly continued to practice.

Okay, first things first:

OHMYGOSHTHANKYOUSOMUCHFOROVER1000VEIWSIAMSOHAPPYRIGHTNOWICAN'TEXPRESSITANDALLIWANTTODOISSCREAMANDSHOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, thank you so much for all the views. Never thought I'd get more than, like, four reads....and that was stretching it. Thank you so much. 

And I would love to hear what you guys think about my writing? Is it horrible? Fantastic? Boring? Dry? Hilarious? Do you want to see someone I'm not writing about? Am I missing your favorite character? Do you have a story you'd like me to write? (Because seriously, I'm running out ;)). 

Have a great day!

(Also, sorry if I'm slowing my writing. I have something called homework and tests slowing me down, not to mention STRESSING ME OUT! So yeah, sorry. )