Trekking Troubles Part Two

Will didn't move. His training flashed through his mind. Never make sudden movements when a bear faces you. But did that apply to a mountain lion?

Never look a bear in it's eyes, Will could hear Halts voice, it takes it as a challenge.

Will dropped his eyes. He heard the lion growl low. Immeasurably slowly, Will moved his hand around towards his back, where his bow was sling over his shoulder. The lion followed his movements with it's eyes. Almost like Will did when he stalked someone. The lion would make a good Ranger, Will thought dryly. After what seemed like hours, Will grasped the bow and started to move it around to his front.

The lion stalked closer, confused and wary of what the human was doing. He was hungry, but he needed to see why this boy was going to do. He had to be careful. Too many of his kind were lost to the boy's species.

Will, now holding his bow in front of him, reached back for an arrow. His brow was wet with sweat, but not from the heat.

As the arrow notched onto the string, it made a slight noise, but the lion heard it. It bared its fangs and encircled Will. Without moving his eyes, Will followed it's motion. He felt his mouth dry and tried to swallow. His throat felt like bark. His heart banged like a bass drum.

The lion suddenly snapped it's teeth at Will and Will let the arrow fly. As quick as a viper, the lion dodged it. Almost. The arrow nicked its side, drawing some blood. Red color bloomed on its fur, but it wasn't enough to be mortal.

Will licked his lips in frustration and freight. He took a deep breath. Focus on the enemy, to do that, you need to be calm and have a full view of all, Halt mentored in his mind.

Will widened his vision. The lion, now more wary of him, didn't come closer, though it kept it's eyes focused intently on Will. Will became more attuned to the noises in the quiet forest. The footfalls of the lion's paws. The Chris of birds. The fall of branches. The quiet clinking of his arrows knocking together.

His arrows.

The lion jumped again, and Will rolled out of the way. Within seconds, the lion pounced again, nearly grabbing hold of Will's leg. Will yanked an arrow and notched it in a heartbeat, and in one smooth motion he let the arrow fly. The lion rolled and the arrow hit and buried itself in a tree. Another arrow was shot, but again the lion rolled. It roared and flew forward, knocking Will down. He rolled sideways and did a backwards somersault, landing back on his feet. He notched an arrow again but as he drew back, the lion clamped its teeth down on Will's leg. He screamed. Will shook his leg frantically to shake off the monster, and eventually, it gave away. Before another second, Will's arrow flew, but not toward the lion's chest, rather to it's side. The lion's eyes followed the arrow and in that second Will threw his knife and hit his mark. The lion fell.

Breathing hard, Will shakily took out his other knife and stepped forward carefully. The lion didn't move. But still, it could've been faking. Will gently nudged it with his knife, but nothing happened. Satisfied, he pulled out his knife.

The sun set long ago already, at least, past Will's time for the assessment. He failed. All he did was for nothing. All his darn troubles on the hike were for nothing. How disappointed Halt would be.

He cleaned his wound as best as he could by drying it with his cloak then moved on. The wound was only shallow.

The last leg of his trip took a little over ten minutes, due to the difficulty moving in the shadows. Though, isn't that what Ranger does, Will thought as he jumped from a rock.

As he neared the end, he heard a voice shouting.

"Crowley, that's it! I'm going in! Will's still out there and it's dark! Forget your blasted assessments!"

Will smiled. Nothing like a welcome home by his mentor, shouting to half the world. Well, even if he was going to fail, he might as well have some fun with it.

He crouched by the bushes, where Halt was and snuck up quietly. Halt was still arguing with Crowley, who was saying that they needed to wait a bit longer.

"No! I refuse to wait! I-ARGHHH!" Halt screamed as Will jumped from behind.

Will and Crowley couldn't control their laughter, Will was not only laughing from the prank, but that he was still alive. So what that he failed? He'd try again. It wasn't the end of the world.

"Will...what?" Halt tried to comprehend. "What the blazes took you so long!"

Will stopped laughing. " A mountain lion attacked me." He glanced down at his leg, which was starting to bloom with dots of blood again.

Crowley stopped laughing too and instantly crouched down. He ordered one of his men to take Will to the infirmary immediately, but Will held up a hand.

"I failed, right?"

Crowley looked uncomfortable. "Well...yes, but, honestly, most people fail. It's not that we try to trick you but the test is-"

"It's fine, really. I'm just happy to still be alive. Will I get a chance to redo it?" Will added shyly with hope.

"Of course," Crowley answered without hesitation, "it'll be next week. Well, maybe a little later due to your injury."

With that, Will turned to Halt. "Halt... I'm sorry I failed. I-"

"Will, shut up." And Halt hugged his apprentice, happy to have his apprentice in his arms once again.