In The Stars

Alyss knew something was wrong. At dinner, Will was very subdued. He barely talked, and even refused coffee. And when a Ranger refused coffee, something was really wrong.

"I think I'll turn in for the night," Will said quietly, looking down.

Alyss pursed her lips but then smiled gently. "No problem, honey. Sleep well."

She kissed him goodnight, then he left to their bedroom.

She wanted to follow and ask him what was really wrong, but her instinct told her otherwise.

But something really was wrong, and she couldn't rest. She was truly confused about what to do. Should she go to him and ask? No, she thought, he needs time for... something. And with that decision, she tied her hair up into a bun and made hot cocoa, drinking it by the dancing fire.

A few hours later, she decided to turn in for the night. As quietly as she could, she crept into the room, climbed into bed, and slept.

A sound woke her. It was just a simple thump! But it was enough. She turned over to see if Will woke up too, but found his spot empty. Alyss got up and checked the room outside. Will wasn't there.

She heard another thump! and jumped, startled. Where is Will? She thought,

"Will?" she called softly.

She was about to turn back into the room when she noticed the front door slightly ajar.

The cool night air greeted her when she opened the door. It was a clear night, with the stars shining brightly and the half moon high in the sky.

A quiet cry was coming from the roof. Having some idea who was on the roof, Alyss started climbing up easily.

"Will? What's wrong?" She rested her hand on his shoulder.

He looked at her with red and puffy eyes. Tears were streaming down his face. His shoulders shook. Alyss leaned in and hugged him tightly.

"Oh god, Will! What's wrong!"

"I-I just miss them, Alyss! Today is when my father..."

"Oh, come here, Will," Alyss pulled him in for another hug. He buried his face in her shoulder. After a few moments staying like that, Will pulled away.

"I'm sorry, it's just... seeing Horace and Evanlyn with little Maddie... it made me think. And it's not like I want it any other way for them... it just... makes me imagine what it might've been like if they were still alive."

Alyss remained next to him with her arm across his shoulders. "We're here for you, Will, no matter what. We're your family. I know it's probably not much, but we'll never leave you. Me, Halt, Horace, Evanlyn, Maddie, Pauline, Gilan, everyone."

Will was silent for a few seconds, then responded, "Thank you, Alyss. I love you."

"I love you too, Will," she smiled.

And they stayed there for the rest of the night, comforting each other. Eventually, they fell asleep, facing the stars, with their arms interlocked.

soooo, what do you think? if i don't publish more for while, just...uh remind me. i can't promise anything though. hehe. thanks for reading and don't forget to vote and comment!