Friday, March 27

I am awoken by the alarm that I actually remembered to set. "Ugh," moans Jίna. "Too loud." Apparently, she is not a morning person.

"It's time for work," I say, unlocking the hidden door.

"There are very many Infected. I will call in sick."

"Ok." I shrug and sling my backpack over my shoulder. "I'm heading out then."

Jina sits bolt upright. "You are going by yourself?"

"That's how I usually do it."

She's awake now. "No way! I will go with you. We will go armed."

I frown. "Armed?"

Jina dumps out the items in her backpack. The boomerang gun, the double gun, the beetle bot (glasses and remote included), the picture pen, the mind watch, the camouflage suit, the navigation eyewear and earbuds, the video diary, the weapon hider belt, the power source cube, and the knife. Fifteen items just sitting in Jina's backpack.

"We will each pick five," Jina says. She puts the diary in her bag.

I take the boomerang gun (of course), the suit, the watch, the navigation devices, and the belt. Jina takes the rest. She is particularly excited about getting the beetle bot.

I change the suit into a headband and don the watch, glasses, earbuds, and belt. I replace the weapons in the belt with my boomerang gun. Jina puts her guns, the beetle bug, the cube, and the diary into her bag. She puts on the glasses and tucks the pen, remote, and knife handle into her pockets. I am surprised by how well the items blend in.

I check my new watch. "We should get going. Work is starting soon."

The person who passed out must have left because the door is unlocked, and they are gone.

We walk over to Security Saver on edge. It would be better if there are some sounds to scare out our nerves, but the streets are deathly quiet.

The city is so used to villain attacks that life typically continues despite the damage. Whether it's resilient or stupid is up for debate. Besides days when the Security Saver building had been damaged, I can't think of any time when it has closed down.

When we arrive at Security Saver, the lights are already on. I can imagine Aaron is typing away inside with the other early risers.

It takes me a few seconds to notice the low humming noise emanating from the building. It takes me less long to see the cracks lined with faint black dust emerging in the ground around it.

My first instinct is to run away (most people who choose fight over flight end up dead in this city). But then, I see how Security Saver groans and sinks slightly into the ground.

Is someone in danger? Yes.

Will this person be able to get out of danger without your help? I doubt they even know what is happening. Or they're sheltering in place for an earthquake. Either way, they'll stay with the building until it's in the ground.

Will your action impede the hero's work or help the villain? Considering there are no heroes yet... No.

Are you actually able to help? I look at my running shoes, worn from my runs and daily bike rides. Damnit. I hate being capable.

"Jina!" I shout. "Stay here and call 911. Talk as if you're talking to Electronica. Tell her there's another crater forming and a building with civilians inside is on top of it!" She nods quickly and begins dialing. I race towards the building.

"Wait! Ruby--" She takes a step forward.

"Stay here!" I repeat. "I'll be right back!" I run inside.