Chapter 13 (Pt. 1)

Start from the beginning

"Get away from me. Just go," she screamed in between sobs. "Leave me alone."

Winter crouched down enough to cradle Astoria's face. Her own eyes were bloodshot. "Honey, let's not do this. We have to leave."

"I said I'm not going anywhere, what language do I need to explain to you." She slapped Winter's hands away.

Winter was beginning to plead her case when I interjected. "I'll bring her home. Go."

Her sharp green eyes slithered at me. "I didn't ask for your help. You need to stay away from my cousin."

Like hell I will. She was mine. And if Winter wanted to try her hand at keeping me away then she's most welcome to do so.

"Winter, dear, its not the time or the place to pick up a fight." Her sensible aunt was the voice of reason.

"No, aunty. You don't know what he's capable-"

"Enough now." I stepped close enough to invade her personal place. "Make one more scene and I swear it won't be me who'll come to discipline you." My tone was arctic. I tried my best to sound the least bit non-threatening, but this woman was starting to get on my nerves.

Last night, when I tried to take Astoria with me. She denied me to even enter the cottage which mind you, was built on my property and belonged to me. I had let that slide, but not anymore.

"Now, leave before I put you in one of the coffins."

She glared, backing a few steps away. "I know your intimidation tactic. I am well versed with that cousin of yours so don't try the stunts on me."

"Winter, just go." It was the small mewl from Astoria that pulled Winter's attention. Dejected, she backed off.

The girl was tough, but not enough.

Not without throwing me one last glare, she left with her family. It was just me and Astoria alone in the symmetry.

Astoria laid her head on her grandmother's grave, her sobs gradually fading until I was sure that she had fallen asleep. I was beside her, raking my fingers through her hair and wiping her tear stricken face. Her face had turned red, especially her nose.

Her condition was fragile and the only thought surfacing in head was to keep her by side. Now that her grandparents were out of the picture, my parents will have her moved out of the cottage and out of my life.

I couldn't let that happen. The distance between us had to be seized and I would do anything to keep her with me.

***
"Where are you taking me?" she asked her when I slid into the driver's seat.

I looked at her tired face, the strain of the events had dimmed the light in her blue eyes. I glanced at her soft and small face that reflected agony.

"Isn't it obvious," I told her as I reached to tighten ger seat belt. It was just an excuse to get in her face and touch her body.

We bother stilled at our nearness. Astoria stopped breathing when her mouths were just inches apart. I could've just taken her lips into mine, but my resolve wouldn't let me take advantage of her. At least not this soon.

The wound was still fresh and burning. It was too soon to even touch her, but I'd taken my chances. When I pulled away, Astoria's chest finally expanded. I didn't miss the slight disappointment that shone in her blue gemstones eyes at the distance between us.

"Your father wants to speak to me. I know what he'll be saying. I am just not ready for it."

"You don't need to be afraid of anything. I have taken care of everything." I roved the engine of the car and we were off in the dark streets.