Chapter 14

KATIE'S POV (still)

Today is the six month mark.

Ty stopped coming at midnight because he couldn't take it anymore, and Trace and Jett stopped coming because they were bored.

The doctor is checking on Megan when someone sneeze and sniffles.

"Bless you." I say, not looking up from my phone. I'm in a text fight with Trace, who I broke up with for ditching Megan.

Me: whatever. Text me again and I block you. Fuck urself

I shut my phone off.

"Uh I said bless you." I look up. Megan is smacking her lips like she's asleep, and then she rolls over, but she doesn't open her eyes.

The doctor looks at her and widens his eyes.

"Megan." I mumble, putting my phone down. I stand up and move to her bedside. "Is she awake?" I demand to the doctor.

"I don't know." he scratches the back of his head.

Megan wrinkles her nose and sneezes again, sniffles, and then licks her lips, but she still doesn't opens her eyes.
"Megan." I whisper shout, poking her arm. "It's been a six month nap. It's time to get up."

She makes a noise. It's a combination of a moan and a groan.

It's her semi-awake groan.

"Megan!" I shake her roughly.

"Fuck off."

it's so faint that I barely heard it, but she definitely just told me to fuck off.
"She's awake!" I say. "She just told me to fuck off!"

"Megan, open your eyes!" I shake her again.

"Fuck off!" she says, this time, loud enough for everyone to hear.

We all start cheering.

"Megan, dammit, open your eyes. There's a fire."

She opens her eyes a crack and looks around the room, and then she rolls over and shuts her eyes.

<><>

A month later, Megan is back in the coma. She only woke up briefly. We were all sure she was going to wake up, but she just went right back into the coma.

None of us told Trace or Jett what had happened.

I think Ty might still be coming, so I didn't tell him.

I asked the nurses and they said they'd seen nobody.

I'm walking out of work at Barnes and Nobles.

I drive to the hospital.

The room is empty because everyone is either downstairs eating or working like Ben.

Somebody messed with Megan' sheets, because one corner is lifted up. I straighten her sheets and pat her hand.

"You better wake up. I miss you."

And then she rolls over.

The doctor said that if we had forced her to sit up last time, she might not have fallen back into the coma.

"Megan!" I shake her arm roughly. "You need to get up right now!"

she mumbles something.

"Megan, now! Right now, I'm in labor!"

She sits up so fast. One of the heart monitor pads falls off her chest and the machine starts one long beep.

"Megan, stand up! Now! Right now!"

"You're not pregnant." she mumbles, her eyes starting to close again.
"Yes I am! Get up!" I rip all the chords off of her. "Of you don't get up you're going to be in that coma again!"

Lazily, she stands up. She stumbles, but I steady her. Nurses and her doctor start rushing in.

"What are you doing?" her doctor starts to freak.

"She's awake, dickfuck. I'm making her walk around so she doesn't fall back into that damn coma."

Gently, I walk Megan around the room.

I take her around the hospital, too, and put her in a wheelchair and take her to the lobby and start to run. I let her ride around in it. The doctor follows us to make sure she's okay.

After twenty minutes or so, when I'm absolutely certain that she won't fall back into the coma, I bring her back up to her room.

She gets back int bed and the doctors start to ask her questions. She answers them. I sit there, grinning from ear to ear.

She's awake.

Finally, she's awake.