Chapter 13

BEN'S POV (still)

I sit next to my sister and just stare at her blank space.

She has stitches on her wrists and she's all bandages up.

I get up to ask for the doctor when Katie, Jett, Trace, and Ty walk in.

"You guys need to leave." I say.

"I'm not leaving." Katie says. "This is my fucking fault."

"Damn right it is." Ty hisses, looking at Megan.

And to my surprise, Mama R walks in with Nana and Papa.

"I thought you guys weren't coming." I say.

"Are you fucking kidding?" Mama R snaps. "Did you really think I wasn't coming?"

She shakes her head, looking disgusted.

The doctor comes in, along with some guy.

Megan's therapist.

"Look," I start to the doctor. "There's gotta be some way to wake her." I say.

He sighs.

"I don't think it's happening." the doctor says.

"Why not?" I snap. "Isn't there a cure?"

The doctor sighs.

"Well I've been talking to Dr. Degrant about Megan's mental state and I'm almost certain she won't wake. If the coma doesn't take her out, other things will."

"Like what?" Mama R asks."Megan's strong."

"Megan was strong." Megan's therapist says. "She's very depressed."

"But she can get through it." I insist.

"She's got an eating disorder." the doctor says. "She weights eight nine pounds and three ounces. If anything, she'll die from a broken heart."

"Wait." Katie puts both of her hands up. "When Megan's Mom was in a coma, we talked about memories. She could hear us. Doesn't that mean that Megan can hear us?"

the doctor looks at Megan.

"It's hard to say."

"Well guess." I say, exasperated.

He sighs.

He sighs, studying Megan for a long time.

"I'm saying yes. She can hear us. But it sucks. I've been in a coma. Someone says something. You want to laugh. You can't. Something sad happens. You want to cry. You can't."

"Well..." Katie hesitates. "What if we can fix the depression?"

"What do you mean?" the doctor asks.

"Say she was depressed because of...a person or something. What if the person could talk to her and fix it?"

Dr. DeGrant sighs.

"I know the problem to which you are reffering, an honestly, I think having the person here will just make it worse. Hearing his voice could make her...I don't know, go mentally crazy. She'll try and say something but won't be able to. I think she'll come around when she wakes up."

"What if she doesn't wake up?" I ask quietly.

"Well..." he sighs. "Then she knows that he was here. That he doesn't hate her."

"She thinks he hates her?" I ask.

"She's convinced he hates her. She thinks you hate her too. She honestly, not even kidding, thinks everyone hates her. And to be honest, she's given some pretty legitimate reasons. I think the best thing you guys can do is convince her that you don't hate her. Let her know you'll be there when she wakes up."