Chapter 7

The pic on the side is Nana

"I just need to understand who she is." Ty whispers to Katie. They think I'm sleeping.

"Megan considers Robin more of her Mother than her actual Mother is. And Robin is, I mean, she basically raised her with Megan's Dad. She changed diapers and soothed fevers and bandaged scrapes and took her to and from school and Megan did homework over there and everything. She stayed over there all the time."

"Wow." Ty whispers, running his fingers through my hair.

"If she dies..." Katie trails off. "it'll be like Megan losing her Mother. To this day, well, she probably wouldn't tell you until you're engaged or married, but she still cries because she doesn't have her phone number anymore."

"That's sad." Trace mutters.

"I can't imagine what it would be like if I lost my Mom." Ty whispers.

"Same with Margy. She's like her Grandma." she sighs. "Megan has called Margy Nana since she met her when her Dad moved her here when she was four. She calls Robin Mama or Mama R or just Mom. I can't remember ever hearing her day Robin to be honest."

"Wow." Ty whispers.

The taxi comes to a stop.

Ty kisses my cheek. I lift my head up.

We're at Nana's.

I sit up. Everyone gets out of the taxi and Ty pays the driver.

The guy drives away.

So many old memories hit me as I stand on the path to the steps that lead to the porch, to the door.

Taking a deep breath, I walk up the steps.

"Who's hand print is in the cement?" Ty asks.

"Mine." I mutter.

I don't knock, I just walk right in.

The house is the exact same.

"Nana?" I call.

The sound of the faucet in the kitchen turns off, and then Nana walks into the living room.

"Oh." she whispers. "Look at you. So grown up. So beautiful!" she takes my face in her hands, and then she , kisses my forehead, makes the sign of the cross, and then hugs me.

I hug her back.

It's a long hug, and when she lets me go, she has tears in her eyes.

"Oh, you too!" She hugs Katie, and then releases her and studies Trace and Tyler.

"And who are these handsome men?" Nana asks, wiggling her eyebrows at me.

"My boyfriend, Trace Reid." Katie nods to Trace.

Nana hugs him too.

"And this si my boyfriend, Ty."

"Ler. Tyler Wesley." Ty smiles, accepting her hug.

"Where's Papa?" I ask.

"At the hospital." she says quietly.

I look at my hands. "Why aren't you?"

"Because I knew you were coming." she says. "Do you want to go there?"

"Yes." I say quietly.

"Alright." she puts her dish towel in the kitchen and grabs her keys and walks out to her old Chevy.

It's my old Chevy.

Her's died and she needed a car, so gave her mine.

She hands me the keys.