Part 18: To Xyrus!

Arthur Leywin POV:

These four years that I've stayed in the Elven Kingdom, I've never really given much thought to my birthday. Well, when I first got here, people were still staring at me hatefully, thinking about the war they had with the humans. Gramps also didn't want to draw heat towards us by celebrating my birthday, so it was just a day off for me before.

But now, on the day of my birthday, with just over a week before I leave for Xyrus to participate in the Tri-Tournament and then reunite with my family, I find myself blindfolded. Tess is leading me, pushing me towards some unknown destination.

"Art, don't peek at where we're going, okay? And don't hear, or...whatever!"

"Ok, ok. But what is this for?"

"Hehe, you'll see!"

I think we're around the training field we frequent with Gramps.

"Kyu! Kyuuu!"

I hear Sylvie beckon Tess towards her direction. Soon, Tess turns me to face in a certain direction. She takes the blindfold off.

"Ok, Art, open your eyes!"

I open my eyes and look at the "surprise" birthday celebration everyone has prepared for me. Gramps, Alea, Aya, Tess' family, Feyrith are all here, clapping and cheering. Even Elder Rinia is here, for some reason.

I give them the biggest smile I can conjure.

"Thanks, everyone!"

*some minutes later*

"So, Elder Rinia, I never see you around here usually, I thought you always stay inside the ancient ruins?"

"Oh, Arthur, I don't need to use my powers anymore, so I won't need to hide from now on. Thanks for that!"

"Uhh... I see. Anyways, I'm glad to see you around!"

As I feed Sylvie a generous helping of cake, I notice Gramps looking in my direction. He was talking with Alea about something, but now he seems a bit shocked, and starts walking towards me.

"Hey, Arthur! You're so relaxed your core is showing! Your core looks like it's in solid yellow?! How?"

"Oh, that's right. When I finished the last trial in the ruins recently, I was rewarded with a bond. Urayne, come out and greet everyone."

Urayne shoots out of my core, and spins dramatically before stopping and bowing.

" 'Tis I, Urayne, the mighty bond of Arthur Leywin! Nice to meet you, master of my master."

"Whoa! Nice to meet you, Urayne. So, what can you do?"

"I can control radiation! That's how I was able to direct all the mana Arthur absorbed from soaking in sunlight, to level up his core to solid yellow."

"That's amazing!" Tessia exclaims. "Can you do that for other mages as well? Level me up too?"

"Sorry, Tess, I'm still getting used to this radiation control ability through my bond with Urayne. One day, after I've improved, I'll definitely help you!"

"Hmpf! Ok...I just feel kind of behind, because I'm only at dark red."

"Haha, little one, you don't need to worry about being behind, you are already a prodigy! Anyways, Arthur, can I see your bond mark? I'm curious about how the design looks."

"Bond mark? Like the one Tess has?"

"Yeah."

"Uhh, I don't have one somehow..."