Ch. 9 - Dark Stranger

Comenzar desde el principio

"Tell your Alpha to expect me tomorrow, and that I want a rejection. I won't be a second Luna, and he'll be lucky if I can keep Athena from killing him for what he did."

"He won't reject you. Not now, at least. You make him too powerful for him to let you go. Tomorrow I set a meeting with the leader of the Dark Wolves pack. Their Alpha is coming to make a deal to end this war. Once that peace treaty is signed, we'll find a way to force Jackson to release you. I promise you, I have your back on this. We just need a few more days so we can free the South."

"He will have no choice but to reject me. I'll be sure of that." I hung up on Devon and turned off my phone.

I felt selfish to put my needs above half the country, but the gut-wrenching despair I felt was unbearable. All I could think about was how he made love to me while also taking her to bed, impregnating her. I needed this bond broken, or the misery of how deviously Jackson played me would eat away at me.

Not ready to face Jackson, I continued moving to avoid him. In the next town, I let my feet guide me to a clothing store. There, I picked a low-cut dress in bright purple that matched my eyes. It was an unusually provocative choice, but imagining Jackson drooling over my body as he begged for forgiveness brought a sly smile to my face. I took satisfaction in the thought of refusing him and then compelling him to reject me.

Leaving the shop, I ventured into a lively bar with a dance club. My eyes widened at the sight of half-naked women dancing on a pole suspended in a cage from the second story. Places like this were unknown to me until now.

"You seem lost?" The bartender looked me up and down.

"Maybe I am." I chuckled, taking a seat. "I need the strongest drink, and make it a double."

"Sure." The bartender shook his head at me.

I downed four Moonshine Metamorphosis, enjoying their taste. The alcohol left me a bit tipsy, and oddly, I liked it. The rage towards my husband still lingered, but it wasn't as overpowering.

"You smell divine," a deep, strange voice said directly in my ear. His nose sniffed my hair, and hands grabbed my waist from behind.

I was about to spin around and knee this asshole in the balls when my body suddenly melted at his touch. He wasn't just a powerful Alpha; his presence exuded safety. His large hands fit perfectly around my waist, creating a delicious heat between my legs.

"I'm not in the mood to be tossed around. Go find someone else to prey on," I said, intending to sound uninterested, but the words came out weak.

"Excuse me?" He genuinely sounded confused, as if he had never been rejected before.

My gaze swung to meet his, prepared to set him straight, but those dark green eyes stole my breath. This man was purely stunning! His deep tan, short black hair, and a face as wide and defined to match his muscular frame held my attention. Athena purred, her longing to taste him evident in my eyes.

"That's better, doll." He flashed me a smug smirk, and my entire being eased in his arms. I might have even been drooling. His grin would normally have me slapping him silly for being so cocky, but I found it incredibly hot. "I have little use for you, but I know exactly how you can help me."

I bit my lip at his insulting words. My mind screamed to punch him, but my body was dying to feel him. Silently, I stood captivated by his good looks.

"Are you suddenly mute?" He asked as I remained frozen, just staring at him. "Actually, I prefer you that way." Initially confused, he soon returned that cocky smirk and pulled me away from the bar. My feet followed him like I was in a trance. I would go wherever he wanted in this moment.