Chapter 60: A Teal Cloak

Começar do início

I opened my mouth to respond, thinking of Arthur. Then I closed it slowly, my slight buzz evaporating entirely as I forced mana from my core across my body. It cleared my mind significantly.

The stare I gave Nerves was just as focused as the one he gave me. It sounded as if the man had more insight into the Relictombs and an inkling of their true purpose. But as far as I knew, the Alacryans with a measure of that understanding were few and far between. I could be misinterpreting his language.

From an Alacryan standpoint, one could 'complete the trial' by returning with a relic or gathering enough accolades to elevate your Blood. Victory could be proven through the arduous trek across the pocket dimensions.

But there was a weight to the way Nerves said trial. His teal eyes were watching my own, and he seemed to recognize the moment my pupils banished the haze of my buzz.

Our interaction suddenly felt a lot tenser.

"He has been fishing for information," Lady Dawn concluded. "For what, I cannot say. Watch yourself, Contractor."

"I'm afraid my prelim was pretty standard," I said carefully. "I got a few accolades, sure, but nothing out of the ordinary. Once I've reclaimed my Blood's past standing, I would say I'd have completed the trial."

The white-haired ascender opened his mouth to reply, but was interrupted by Alandra pulling herself up between us, her auburn hair in a bit of disarray. From her wavering steps, I could tell she was far gone.

She looked Nerves up and down. "You are almost my type," she declared with slightly slurred speech. "What were ya talking about with Toren?"

I felt my heart rate pick up at this unexpected interruption. I had to get her away somehow, lest she reveal something. "Nerves here is a long-time ascender. He was just asking about my thoughts on the Relictombs," I said, perhaps a bit too quickly.

Nerves' eyes flicked to me, then back to Alandra, who was doing a very poor job of trying to look flirtatious at the bar table. The ascender across from her looked entirely unaffected by the drunk woman's advances.

"Well, I asked about that and how his first ascent went," the white-haired ascender said, his tone changing subtly. "Our prelims are always some of the most memorable ascents in our career. Do you think Toren here will remember his?"

Alandra's eyes lit up slightly. "Oh, yeah he will! He nailed a scorpion to the floor. I've always wanted to do that after I got the last one's head all over my robes."

Nerves raised a confused brow at the disoriented woman, but before I could intervene, she plowed forward. "But that's nothing compared to the second zone. It was weird! With a road, and buildings, with the portals right there..."

She moved her hand to Nerves' shoulder, moving it lower not-so-subtly.

I took Alandra by the wrist, taking it away from where she was about to go a bit too low. She cut off, saying a stuttered, "Huh?" in response to my interruption.

"I'm afraid my party member has had a bit too much to drink, Nerves," I said, gently pulling Alandra toward where I spotted the rest of our party. "Maybe we can continue this conversation another time?"

I didn't give him an opportunity to reply, nodding and guiding Alandra by the shoulder toward where Jared sat. The one-eyed ascender's gaze focused on me, a clarity there despite his empty tankard nearby. The man was able to hold his liquor far better than I.

"Alandra was about to feel up a stranger at the bar," I said in a clipped tone. "I think she's had a bit too much to drink."

The woman in question was staring with wide eyes at Jared's eyepatch. "Wow, Jared, when did you lose your eye?" She reached a hand toward the eyepatch, running her hand over it.