Chapter III: Cheeseburger Backpack

"Hey Mr. Postman, bring me a post! Bring me the post that I love the most!"

Steven sat near the mailbox, waiting for his package. 

He noticed the mailman, Jamie, come around the corner and gasped. "My song came true!"

He hopped off the rock he was sitting on. "Do you have a package for me today?"

Jamie looked through his messenger bag. "Hold on. Let me see what I've got here..."

He pulled out a loaf of bread wrapped in a thin layer of plastic. "Did you order a loaf of bread with a stamp on it?"

Steven shook his head. 

"Did you order a jury summons for R.J Finkle?"

Steven shook his head again. "No. That's not me. I'm Steven!"

"Oh, right, right, right, right! Here it is; Steven Universe."Jamie handed Steven a package, which the boy gratefully took. 

"Yes! This thing is gonna help me save the world!"

Jamie raised a brow. "Really? It says it's from the "Wacky Sack Supply Company."" He pointed out. 

"Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl think I shouldn't go on magic adventures because I don't know how to use my gem powers." Steven explained. 

"That seems reasonable," said Jamie. 

"But there are other ways I can help!" Steven exclaimed. 

"With a wacky sack?"

"Exactly!"

"Well, you know how I can save my world?" Jamie asked. He pulled out a device, "sign here please."

Steven grabbed the pen and wrote his name, surrounding it with little stars. 

Jamie rubbed the back of his neck. "Barb yells at me if I don't get signatures..."

"That's awful!" 

Suddenly, the warp pad activated from inside the house. Steven gasped, "the gems are back!"

He sped up the porch steps, not hearing Jamie ask him what a wacky sack is. 

-

He burst through the door, and was greeted by Garnet, who was covered in feathers for some reason. "Hello, Steven."

Beside her, Amethyst and Pearl were bickering about something. 

Pink was behind them, leaning on the counter and watching the argument unfold with an amused look on her face. 

"Amethyst! We do not need that! It's not gonna fit in the fridge!" 

The argument was about a giant egg apparently. 

"What? I got this," Amethyst slowly and carefully took out the refrigerator shelf, before throwing it to the ground and putting the giant egg in the fridge. 

"Look, it fits!" She slammed the door shut, making a horrible cracking noise.

Pink cringed. She was not cleaning up whatever mess that made.

"Oh man, we could make a big omelet or a quiche or big sunny side ups!" Amethyst began listing what they could do with the egg. 

Pearl glanced at Steven, noticing his confused expression. "We fought a giant bird." She clarified. 

Steven's eyes drifted to the tiny statue in her hand. "What's that?"

"This? This is the moon goddess statue. We have to return it to the Lunar Sea Spire before midnight, so we'll only be here for a second." Pearl told him.