Prologue Part I: The Rebirth of a Diamond

[The prologue takes place a few years before the events of the show]

Steven floated around aimlessly in an endless void.

It was cold, dark, and lifeless. Steven could barely see his own hands.

Sharp, howling wind whipped around him and at his face, as cold as ice.

He shivered, hugging himself in hopes of warming himself up just a little bit.

Then, he spotted a glow.

He saw a glowing silhouette that somewhat resembled a human. It was much taller than any person he'd ever seen though.

Steven couldn't say exactly, but it looked to be even taller than Garnet.

It tilted its head curiously, peering down at Steven with glowing pink eyes.

Steven felt a warm, comforting feeling from it, which was a nice change from the freezing emptiness of the abyss. It almost felt like he was connected to this figure somehow.

Steven reached out to the figure, but his vision suddenly went white.

-

Then, he appeared in the bubble room.

This was getting really strange. Steven has never even been in the bubble room, he's just seen it from the doorway to the temple when the gems would go in for something.

He heard whispers and hushed voices, almost as if they were pulling him somewhere.

He followed the whispers. He couldn't make out anything that they were saying.

The voices got louder and louder, to the point to where it hurt his ears. Then, he noticed that the whispers seemed to be coming from above him.

He reached up, and all the sudden he was lifted into the air.

He let out a small yell, no longer feeling the warm stone floor beneath him.

In front of him was a teal bubble. Inside of it was a diamond shaped pink gem. Or was it purple? He couldn't quite tell from the hue of the bubble.

He went to grab the bubble, but as soon as he touched it, his vision went white again.

-

Steven woke up with a gasp.

He rubbed the sleepiness out of his pink eyes with a groan. He's had this dream almost every night for the past week.

It had to mean something; he just had to figure out what.

And the answers were in the bubble room.

-

After putting on his slippers, Steven stood in front of the temple door. He knew what he needed to do, but there was one problem.

He didn't know how to get through the temple door.

He pondered on ways to open the door.

The gems would use their powers to get in, but Steven didn't have a gem.

So how exactly does he get it open?

'Hmmmm...'

-

After many failed attempts to get the door open, he let out a groan and sank down next to the door.

He was never gonna get this stupid door open.