Chapter 14

When Claire and her aunt reached the bottom of the ladder, they found themselves nestled inside a narrow dark tin can with wall-to-wall specters. Claire examined their faces from owl-like eyes. They all appeared the same, with scruffy beards, shabby clothes and greasy hair that matted to their skulls. They peered back at her with hollow eyes-hungry, delving and lethal.

Claire realized she had been holding her breath. She inhaled and instantly regretted it. The acerbic smell of unbathed men burned her nose. Claire stepped back, stopped short by a wall of valve wheels and control panels. She stumbled sideways to where her aunt joined her in regarding the men with dread. They smiled, amused by her fear.

The submarine engines filled the interior with a high-pitched whine followed by a cacophony of grinding machinery. A hatch closed somewhere, dimming the noise.

Father studied the crewmen with disgust. Claire waited for him to order them about. Instead, he inspected the periscope with his chin up and slitted eyes. He was trying so hard to appear superior that Claire had to bite her lip to stifle a laugh. For once, he wasn't in control and Claire liked the shape of that.

The small shaft of light that illumined the control room, where Claire stood surrounded by the starved apparitions of purgatory, suddenly blackened. The vessel rocked and the air split with a thunderclap. Before anyone gathered what transpired, the captain and Carsten hurried down the ladder. The hatch slammed closed and was secured, taking away the little bit of sunlight it afforded them.

Carsten examined the tight quarters. The dim interior lights flickered on. A small smile played on his lips. His eyes settled on Claire and then shifted to her aunt. He spoke in his native language, placing his pale eyes on the younger of the women. He switched his haughty gaze to the U-boat captain. The captain nodded and then shouted to the men, who were on their feet in a matter of seconds. The newcomers were forgotten.

Claire watched the intimidated seamen at their posts. Carsten approached, casting a shadow in the corner of her eye. She tried not to notice him, but his hovering forced her eyes to his.

"The Kapitän has been gracious enough to give up his bunk for your comfort. You and your aunt will share as you see fit," Carsten said.

Carsten took a step back and held his hand out to indicate the way toward a low hatch welded into an interior panel. Claire helped her aunt navigate the entrance and then made her way through. Inside, they stood in what resembled the crew's dining area on the yacht, but smaller and far less clean. Claire peered down a narrow passage. Behind her, a crewman sat before a box decked with knobs and dials, scribbling on paper what he heard through a pair of roughshod earphones. A similar booth stood next to it and curtains hung to either side of the passage just beyond that. Racks with supplies and innumerable gadgets filled the narrowing corridor. A heavy curtain hung partially closed just in front of them. The captain emerged from behind the barrier still quite grave. He carried a large bag filled with his things.

"Ladies," he spoke in English. "I trust you will be most comfortable. My watchful eye will be your guard when Mr. Reiniger is not available."

"Where's he going?" Aunt asked. "If you ask me, it doesn't look like he can hold his breath very long."

The captain resisted a laugh, but offered Claire's feisty aunt a grin. He said something in German and Carsten nodded with a smile and replied with few words. The captain stepped aside and Carsten took hold of Claire's arm, ushering her forward as he pulled the curtain back.

Claire and her aunt needed no further urging. They ducked behind the curtain to what the men called the captain's bunk. Carsten left them to the space, which provided barely enough room for both of them to stand. The small lamp on the cabinet, which also served as a table or desk, glowed even fainter than those where the crew worked. The bunk was a narrow leather bench and resembled a car seat, though less inviting.