Chapter 23

Carsten brought Claire safely back to the inn. Neither Marcel nor Noreen were present. Perhaps the devil was in the kitchen cleaning up from dinner or hid in his office. He hoped he was one of those two places, for Noreen's sake.

Carsten paused to lock the front door. Then they quietly made their way up the stairs and to the room Claire would share with Noreen. There he found the matriarch quite safe, but quite worried. He relinquished Claire to her aunt, hanging back in the doorway as they reunited. Noreen showered Claire with kisses and squeezed her tightly. Claire didn't fight the woman off. Instead, she received the affection without a word to the contrary. Carsten preferred this softer side, having had a glimpse of it in the alley, though he couldn't be certain he preferred the quiet to the quips.

"I will knock before dawn to wake you. Please be ready as quickly as possible," Carsten instructed. "We need to make an early start."

Carsten pulled the door closed.

"Mr. Reiniger," Noreen called him back.

"Ja, Frau O'Shea." He reopened the door.

"You've been honest with us this far," Noreen said. She released her niece and faced him. "What exactly are we facing when we get there?"

Carsten gauged the woman's temperament. She was exhausted, distrustful and starved. He weighed that with how much he knew and formulated what he was authorized to tell her. Her eyes implored him.

"When we arrive in Berlin, we are to report to the Chancery and more commanders," Carsten replied. "There, I will be debriefed and await new orders. You will both be taken to a house that you will share with Herr Healey until a permanent residence is found-quite possibly they will want to interview you and find out why you came along. Following that, a dinner is to be given in Healey's honor. You will both be expected to attend. Several high officials will be present, if you understand my meaning, so please mind what you say," he continued. "I will no longer be with you, so I cannot stop you from hanging yourselves."

Noreen's chin dropped. She searched the floor, thinking over all he'd said. Lifting her chin again, she nodded and stepped back to Claire. The women sat at the foot of the bed, mournful.

"I will see you in the morning," he murmured and shut the door.

Carsten stood outside with his hand still on the knob for several silent moments. He had much to say to them. He just couldn't bring himself to do so right then. His strength was fading fast and his fatigue flared his temper. He had been managing with only catnaps for too long. The women deserved answers from someone who was collected and would advise them wisely.

Carsten crossed the hall to the opposite room. He slid the key into the slot and unlocked the door. Twisting the knob, he pressed the panel open. His eyes searched the dark room for intruders. Grabbing a chair, he propped the door open. With no way to lock the women in their room, he needed to be able to hear them if they tried to escape. Though he empathized with their bad situation, he didn't trust them for the same reason.

Carsten took another sweep of the room. He pulled his jacket off and tossed it on the foot of the bed. The numbness before sleep already had him. He threw himself down on the mattress and scrubbed his hands over his face, trying to revive himself. His arms collapsed at his sides. He focused on the ceiling, feeling his body sink. He was tired, more tired than when he'd hoofed it across Spain with a full pack and a loaded rifle. Carsten's eyes closed. His body relaxed and he listened.

In the distance the sound of artillery boomed like thunder on the horizon. The cadence brought forward a line of dismissed thoughts. He wondered what he would tell Claire to keep her safe within the hive. His mind wandered, imagining ways he might help them escape. He lost himself in the ideas, letting them unfold and curl around his mind. If he could only insinuate himself as their guardian for just a bit longer. . .