Chapter 9. When things come to an end

~Y/n's pov~

"It is almost time for you to wake up again darling." His voice sounds soft, interrupting the comfortable silence that hung between us.
I let out a small sigh.
"Will it hurt?" I ask uncertain.
He takes a moment before replying and I don't even need to look at him to know it pains him to say it.
"Yes." He breathes out.
I'm not in pain in the Dream realm but I know that once I return to my earthly body everything will come flooding back.
I remember the pain, so heavy it felt paralysing. I don't want to go back to that but I also know I can't simply stay in the Dreaming forever.
"If your earthly body dies you will be taken to the afterlife and you can't return here.
You could be seriously hurt, we need to take care of your wounds in the waking world darling." He explains and I know he's right.
"I know. I just don't want to go back there." I say honestly. I feel my body start to tremble as anxiety rises in my chest.
"I wish I could take your pain away." He sighs deeply.
"I cannot afford to cross that line, not after stepping in to save your life. I can only hope they will forgive me for overstepping once, I cannot expect them to do that twice."
He looks down with a sorry expression.
"I know you would take it all away if you could Dream, but I don't want you to bring yourself in danger because of me.
My pain is mine to deal with. You being here for me is already more than I could ask for." I smile softly as I rest my hand on top of his.
"Let me accompany you." He says suddenly.
I raise my head to meet his gaze and find him with a serious expression.
"I will come to the waking world with you and take care of you." He adds.
"Can you even do that?"
"I will not meddle in any human affairs. My sister, Death, lives as a human for one day each year to remind herself of the impact she has on them. Who is to say I can't do the same?"
A weak smile forms on my lips thinking about Dream being there with me and it makes everything just a tiny bit better.
"Are you ready?" He asks in his deep voice.
I nod slowly before everything fades to black again.

I open my eyes and blink a few times, feeling as if I'm in a daze.
Suddenly a sharp pain shoots through my entire body and I moan in agony.
I look around me to get situated and find Dream sitting next to me with a worried expression as he strokes my hair.
Something about him seems different though.
Before I can figure it out I wince as pain radiates through the back of my head.
"Let me take care of you." He whispers before he disappears into my bathroom.
He comes back out with the first aid kit but he looks lost.
He fumbles with the first aid supplies before taking a deep breath to try and keep himself together.
He looks so out of place in this world.
Suddenly it dawns on me why he looks so different.
He isn't wearing his cloak, only his black suit to fit in better here.
A small smile spreads across my lips and the pain dulls a bit knowing he would follow me to any realm.
I feel him lift my shirt, inspecting the bruising on my ribs.
He takes a damp cloth and wipes the dried blood off my face ever so gently.
"Let me take a look." He says carefully before lifting my head to have a better look at the back of my head.
I focus on a spot on the wall to distract myself from the pain as he sanitises the wounds.
I can tell he is struggling but he doesn't let that stop him from taking care of me.
When he is done he kneels down next to the bed, looking at me with sadness in his eyes.
"From now on I will protect you." He says in a low voice.
"I promise."
All I can muster is a small smile before my eyelids become heavy.
I have barely been awake for an hour but nothing is tempting me to not fall asleep again.
I only want to be in his realm, by his side.
"Rest my darling, I will wait for you."
Dream's voice is the last thing I hear before I reopen my eyes in the Dreaming.
My body feels light and I am free of pain.
I spend every second by Dream's side until I have to awaken again.
Days go by and I spend less and less time in the waking world.
I quit my job, scared to walk the streets alone.
I'm slowly running out of food for the same reason.
Every time I wake up my body aches more and feels weaker.
I struggle to even leave my bed, the gnawing feeling in my stomach only disappearing once I fall asleep again.
The only few hours I spend awake are spent quickly eating something just to keep my earthly body barely alive.
Dream keeps telling me how I need to take care of myself and keep myself healthy but I brush him off, not wanting him to worry.
I dread waking up, only feeling at peace in my dreams.
I had always looked at it as an escape but now that I had finally found happiness with him I didn't want anything to keep me from it.
One day as my head rests on Dreams chest while I slowly fall asleep in his arms a woman appears in my room, startling me.
"Morpheus, there you are." She speaks up, telling me she knows Dream.
He stays still which shows me she's not a threat.
"Sister, what brings you here?" He asks her.
Sister? She is one of the Endless.
"Our siblings are waiting for you. You need to answer for what you did little brother." She says with a sorry expression.
Suddenly her eyes fall on me as I stare at her with a questioning look and she smiles brightly.
"Oh how rude of me! I forgot to introduce myself. I am Death of the Endless." She says as she stretches out her hand.
At the mention of her name a cold shiver runs down my spine. She is Death?
I reluctantly shake her hand.
"I am-"
"Y/n." She interrupts and I just nod.
"I know, we have met before." She says and suddenly it becomes increasingly hard to breathe.
"We have?" I ask but neither of them reply.
It takes me a moment but then I remember why she looked so familiar.
I saw her at the edge of my bed the day I tried to take my life.
She gives me a sympathetic smile as if she knows that I just realised what she had meant.
"Dream, we need to go now." She says calmly.
I feel Dream let out a deep breath before he nods.
"I'm coming with you." I say determined.
"Darling you cannot." Dream starts but I interrupt him.
"I am coming to the Dreaming soon regardless and this includes me too. I am coming with." I repeat.
"Well she's a feisty one isn't she?" Death chuckles while looking at Dream.
Dream lets out a small breathy chuckle.
"That she is."

~Dream's pov~

We arrive at the Dreaming where all our siblings are gathered.
I feel nervousness rise in the pit of my stomach, knowing I crossed a line that an Endless should never cross and I will be punished for it.
I look back at Y/n and see her eyes widen as she looks around at all the Endless.
She will probably never be able to grasp what is happening and who is standing in front of her but she insisted on being here with me.
"Dream." Destiny speaks up.
"You know why we called upon you?"
"Yes brother." I reply.
"You have broken one of the most important rules. Us Endless cannot meddle in human affairs. She was supposed to die but you saved her life, bringing imbalance to the universe. You have also put two men in eternal slumber. Do you have any reason to defend yourself?"
I bow down my head.
"No brothers and sisters. I did what I did for one reason only. Because I love her.
I will not ask you to understand because I know what I did is unforgivable. I will accept whichever punishment is suitable."
"How did she enter the Dreaming?" Desire now speaks up.
"She found her way all by herself. She didn't dream of anything so she arrived in the Dreaming." I explain.
"So why didn't you wipe her memory and exile her?" Desire asks with a devious smirk on his face.
"Because she intrigued me. Because I wanted to be near her." I admit.
"We have heard enough. You have become a liability to your duties Dream. We will need to kill you so a new Dream of the Endless can be reborn." Destiny states.
"No!" I hear her scream.
She runs up to me, ignoring Death telling her to stay put.
My siblings can destroy her with a simple flick or their hand but she still chooses to stand by my side.
"I will not let you kill him, whoever you are."
"Is this the mortal?" Destiny asks me.
I nod my head, staying silent.
"So what do you suggest Y/n?" Destiny asks her.
"I- I'll leave. I will never return to the Dreaming. You can even wipe my memories. I'll do whatever it takes to save Dream." She says hesitantly.
Desire chuckles condescendingly.
I take a step towards her and look into her glassy eyes.
I tuck a strand of hair behind her ear before she speaks up again.
"I need to leave so you can be at peace."
I hear her voice break.
I put my fingers underneath her chin and lift up her face so she looks at me.
"My love. Do you think there is a corner in this universe where you could travel far enough to free me from this torment? You are the bane of my existence, and the object of all my desires. I dream of you."
She blinks as a single tear rolls down her rosy cheek.
"Is there nothing we can do?" She asks, directing her gaze to Destiny.
I can feel the fear and angst radiate off of her but her exterior doesn't falter.
She stands before the Endless and demands them to listen.
"There is one solution I could suggest." Destiny starts but his face grows somber.
"Dream needs to right the wrongs he has done." He says speaking to everyone before he draws his attention on me again.
"You need to awaken both men and let them continue their lives."
I clench my fists at my sides but let him speak.
"And her life must end. Death will take her and then the universe will be in balance again."
I freeze at his words, my hands falling limp to my side. This cannot be, I cannot lose her.
"No. That isn't an option. Take my life instead." I say without hesitation.
"Very well then. Dream of the Endless will be executed and a new Endless will rise." Destiny repeats.
From the corner of my eye I can see Y/n drop to her knees with tears streaming down her beautiful face.
It has to be this way.