prologue

A TALL, WELL-BUILT GUY escaped the clutches of the wind, by shutting the door behind him

A TALL, WELL-BUILT GUY escaped the clutches of the wind, by shutting the door behind him. It was a tumultuous season Pulan was in the midst of. Due to cyclones, the weather was extremely cold and frigid, accompanied by grey skies and a downpour every afternoon.

The guy rested his palms deep in his coat pockets and sauntered into the internet cafe. He glanced briefly at people playing various games, some studying and some logging into their social media accounts. There were not many people at the cafe but this was no surprise. Internet cafes were a dying culture in the country.

His eyes paused on a certain computer, which displayed a chess screen. A girl was seated in front of it, headphones securely placed over her head. It was a 10 minute rapid game. 

The guy inched closer, his sharp facial features focusing on the screen before him.

It was an excellent defense, he thought. No matter which way the opponent moved his pieces, any one of his pieces was bound to be killed. Time was running out too. The girl was going to win. His eyes flicked to the flashy green on the top of the screen.

Chess International's Annual League - Semi-final Round Two.

His eyes travelled the screen, observing and absorbing the reflection of the girl's face.

"Vikky, you're here?"

His brother announced, in his obnoxiously loud voice, startling Vikram. He turned his eyes to his brother, greeting him with a bored expression.

"Come on, look a bit more excited to see me, will you?"

He received a blank slate of an expression, in reply.

"Fine. Come, I'll give you the keyboard you wanted." His brother disappeared into the inventory. Vikram turned around to find a completed match. The girl was in the process of closing the browser and computer. 

He took a good look at her face. Then, he walked away, trudging after his brother.

wordcount: 370 wordsa/n: this scene is very much inspired by love 020

a/n: this scene is very much inspired by love 020. the story takes a much different track, though...