CHAPTER THIRTY FIVE: A MAN YOU SHOULD FEAR

A man walked into Gertrudin sometime around midday.

He didn't wear anything particularly noteworthy, other than what appeared to be a sheethe designed to look like a turtle shell on his back with countless swords sheathed inside.

The man walked to a bar called The Drunken Forge.

When he entered, he looked around and noticed that everyone had their eyes set on him.

He gave the crowd a smile before he walked over to the bar.

The man took a seat and the barkeep said, "What brings you here traveler?"

The man tapped the table a few times before he said, "I'm what you'd call a collector of sorts."

"I take it you deal in swords."

He pointed his thumb at the barkeep and said, "Exactly."

As the barkeep dried one of his mugs he said, "Are you looking to get a sword forged? If so, I could recommend you to a blacksmith."

He waved his hand at the barkeep and said, "No no, you misunderstand. I'm not interested in swords gained through coin. Instead."

The man motioned to the swords on his back and said, "I'm far more interested in swords earned through blood."

He leaned forward and said, "In this endeavor you may be of some use to me. I hear this town is home to a Quantum Sorceress."

*

Lucan helped his mother bring home a load of groceries.

While both of his arms were full with bags, his mother carried but one.

"Mother, are you sure?"

She turned around and put both of her hands on her hips. "Lucan, I've told you. You rely too much on your magical strength. In fact, it's caused your natural physique to suffer, making you look doughy ."

Before Lucan could defend himself, Lucina turned and walked away.

Lucan sighed as he tried to catch up to his mother. "Ma, is it really wrong to let myself go a little when I'm on vacation? It's not like I'm."

Lucan stopped as he saw his mother put her hand out in front of him.

"Ma, what's?"

Lucina dropped her bag and immediately began to run off.

Lucan saw the severity of the situation and dropped his bags as well before he ran off after his mother.

*

He arrived shortly after his mother to a place called The Drunken Forge.

Lucan walked over to his mother, who said, "Do you feel it Lucan?"

Lucan put his hand on the hilt of his sword and said, "I can now."

He stepped in front of his mother and kicked open the door.

When Lucan entered, he saw that everyone had coalesced into the edges of the bar, and left a large area in the middle with only two people.

The man with the turtle shell sheathe didn't even turn to see who had entered. He simply smiled before he said, "It appears I won't need your directions after all."

When the man turned to look at Lucina, Lucan put an arm in front of her and said, "Who are you?"

The man got to his feet and said, "I'm a member of The Crucible. They call me The Fencer."

He looked past Lucan and to his mother. "And you must be The Sorceress of Fate. The so-called last hope of humanity to take back its freedom. Whatever the hell that means."