CHAPTER TWENTY NINE: WHERE ONE IS NOT ASKED

Lucan stood in the training hall, where he took several practice swings with his sword.

He pulled out his pocket watch and looked at the time.

As Lucan tucked it away, he sheathed his sword and began to walk out of the arena and towards Stella's room.

*

Lucan stood outside of Stella's room, where he saw a tray of food that had long since gotten cold.

He knocked on her door and said, "Stella, are you in here?"

There was no response.

"If something's bothering you, you can always talk to me about it."

When he was once again greeted by silence, Lucan stood there for a moment before he said, "Stella, if you don't want to talk, that's fine. Just know that I'm here for you. If you only want someone to listen, I can do that too."

Lucan placed his hand on the door for a moment, but when Stella refused to respond, he turned and headed off.

*

Lucan slammed his hand on one of the tables in the dining hall and said, "What's going on with Stella?"

Alva gave Lucan a neutral look before she said, "If you're going to stay here, you should learn how to greet people properly."

Lucan got down onto his knees and said, "Alva. Please. You're the only one I know who can tell me what's wrong with Stella."

She raised an eyebrow and said, "What makes you think I know anything?"

"Because you know Stella better than anyone. She couldn't hide something from you if she tried."

Alva crossed her arms and said, "Alright, let's say I do know. Why should I tell you?"

Lucan looked at the floor and said, "I've only known Stella for a short time, but in that time she's helped me in so many ways. She's helped me smile, to laugh and to enjoy life in ways I haven't thought about in years."

He looked at Alva and placed his fist over his heart. "Because of this, when I see her in pain, I want to help, but can't because I don't know what's going on in her head."

Lucan returned his gaze to the floor before he said, "It hurts, it hurts me in ways I can't even describe."

He began to tear up as he said, "So please, tell me what's wrong with Stella."

Alva looked at Lucan for a moment before she sighed and said, "Fine."

She motioned for Lucan to get up, and after he sat down in a chair across from her said, "You know how the Meeting of The Marquesses is coming up soon?"

Lucan nodded.

"Well this one's special. You see, it's been decided by Duke Nothgard that it's time for Stella to get married, and her candidates will each be from one of the Marquess houses. The candidates, as well as the Marquesses themselves will be attending the next meeting, and during that meeting, one of them will be betrothed to Stella."

Lucan rested his head on his head as he said, "That explains it. It all started when I asked her about what the decorations were for."

As he thought about the situation, he tapped his foot on the ground and his fingers on the table.

Alva leaned back in her chair and said, "Now that you know what's ailing her, what's your solution?"

Lucan took a deep breath and said, "I'm thinking."

A pair of arms with webbed gloves on them wrapped around Lucan's chest, and a seductive voice whispered into his ear. "This is the problem with everyone, you think that by confronting your pain it'll go away. Problem is, eventually you receive a wound deep enough that it never heals."