CHAPTER ZERO: A MURDERER AMONG SINNERS

The glint of steel, that was all that Lucan could see for what felt like an eternity.

Time stood still in that instant, a frozen frame, taken the moment before tragedy.

The place was a stone courtyard located in the back of a castle.

There were no fewer than one thousand chairs sprinkled throughout it, with each of them occupied by a knight, or a man of high standing.

Emotions swirled as everyone processed what they saw in their own way, and what they saw was a young redheaded woman wearing an ornate dress, located on a balcony connected to a castle.

Behind her was a hooded figure who wielded a knife.

As the knife sunk into her back, the color immediately drained from the woman's face.

She attempted to look behind her, but even a simple motion such as that was beyond her abilities now.

Her face contorted into a mixture of horror and apathy, as everything drained away from her.

The assailant pulled the knife out, which caused blood to gush everywhere.

Having freed their instrument of torment, they pushed the woman over the railing, and her body hurtled to the ground.

Lucan immediately got to his feet and ran towards her.

He ran as quickly as he could, and watched as her body got closer and closer to the ground.

Lucan slid on his knees and managed to catch her moments before she hit the ground.

Once safely in his arms, he looked down and saw a glimmer of light in her eyes.

When the woman saw Lucan, she placed her hands on his cheeks, but once they touched his face, Lucan felt how cold they were.

They only remained there for a moment, as the light drained, and her arms went limp.

Lucan grit his teeth as he looked upwards, and saw a sight that boiled his blood.

The assailant wore a shoulder cape with The First Sinner, the symbol of The Deck of Devils, and a group under the command of the woman's father.