Chapter Twenty-Nine

Start from the beginning

"I know," Tammy murmured. "I'm sorry."

"Don't ever think about doing this again," Alana said sternly. "I said you weren't ready for big waves for a reason. And this storm is a whole different ball game."

Tammy nodded somberly.

"Where's Dylan?" Alana asked.

"Not here," Cole wheezed. He sat up, finally able to catch his breath, and added, "He probably doesn't even know she went for a surf."

"He's running errands," Tammy said.

Alana gently let go of her sister and pulled out her phone. "Call him," she ordered, handing Tammy the device. "Tell him exactly what happened and say we'll meet him at the apartment."

Tammy nodded, fully aware of the gravity of the situation, and dialed the number. Meanwhile, Alana turned to Cole and offered him a small smile. "Thanks," she said again. "I don't know what would have happened if you hadn't—"

Cole smiled sadly. "It's fine. You're welcome."

"No, I really mean it," Alana persisted. She held out a hand and helped him to his feet. "You saved Tammy's life. I don't think a simple thank you is enough."

He nodded and glanced away, withdrawing his hand quicker than Alana wanted him to. As the rest of the gang arrived, out of breath from jogging across the sand, Alana turned her attention to her little sister. She took in Tammy's matted, salty hair and cold, pale face. Alana gripped her hand while Tammy explained the situation to Dylan. Alana knew he would drop everything and head back to the apartment as soon as possible.

After the phone call, the sisters told the gang what had happened and how Cole was the hero of the day. Everyone smiled and chatted with relief on the way back to the parking lot. Despite his act of bravery, Cole was the only one who seemed out of place. Alana heard him grumble something about his shirt and shoes left on the pier while he and Blaine talked in hushed voices. Though Alana had every reason to thank God and rejoice for Tammy's safety, part of her still felt as gloomy as the skies overhead. Something was still missing.

With the soft pitter-patter of rain behind him, Cole paused at the entrance to the church. Blaine and Mr. Anderson went on ahead, taking a seat near the middle of the sanctuary. Across from them sat Jake's family, plus Maya. Cole swept his gaze to the other side of the sanctuary and spotted Koa, but no matter how hard he searched, he couldn't seem to find Alana.

With a frown, Cole reluctantly trudged down the aisle and took a seat next to Blaine. "Don't worry," the latter said, "they're probably coming."

"Thanks," Cole muttered. The worship band came on stage a few moments later, and the entire congregation rose as one to sing along. Cole couldn't help but glance over his shoulder every so often, trying to get a glimpse of any latecomers. He sighed in defeat when the worship part of the service was over and Pastor Browne walked onto the stage. The congregation sat down, and Cole slumped in his seat as the sermon began.

"Hey, listen," Blaine said quietly. "If she doesn't show up tonight, just give her a call tomorrow. It'll work out—trust me."

Cole nodded stiffly. He knew what Alana was like—if she wasn't on time, she probably wasn't coming at all. But Blaine's words turned a few gears in his head. He smiled faintly as he remembered the day in Venice Beach when he had first taken his brother's advice. Blaine's instructions had almost worked perfectly.