Feature Film - A Winter of Empires

[SAMPLE ONLY]

Chapter 1: Endurance

They were all going to die but if anyone were to blame their captain she would merely be a scapegoat. Battle damaged and code red blaring the starship Endurance, flagship of the Citizen's Empire, appeared to drag itself across the ethereal landscape like a wounded animal.

Everyone on that lifeless starship had agreed to give their life for the Citizen's Empire. When they put on uniforms and took commissions as officers they pledged loyalty... but had every citizen of the Citizen's Empire merely been born to this responsibility? Had each citizen truly evaluated their fundamental identity as a citizen? As an individual?

Now ALL the officers including the small little individual voice of the captain would be questioning their individuality as they hovered like a leaf in the air over a planet. What was this planet? Why was it important? And what philosophical and moral dilemma set the standard saying it was a duty as officers of the Citizen's Empire to risk their lives for strangers?

Captain Nina Victoria Jovan was a woman doubly out of place. Firstly she was the first female to captain a flagship of the Citizen's Empire. Secondly, on her maiden voyage, she was coming face-to-face with a civilization as mighty as the Citizen's Empire.

In front of the C.E. Endurance was a crimson enemy vessel looming over them at nearly twice the size of the Endurance. Below both ships was an Earth-like planet bitten by ice age.

Again? ...Again?! Nina asked herself. Is there only survival in life?!

The intercom buzzed and the chief engineer's voice came through. He talked very sternly "Captain we have engine failure! Emergency power in effect!"

Commander Edgar O'Malley had been standing near Nina and walked to the tactical station where a now dead tactical officer and comrade lay lifeless on the ground. Quickly and efficiently he moved the body out of the way and took over the station. If Edgar cared for his fellow officer his face did not display those feelings in the slightest.

With great focus Edgar analyzed tactical read outs for the Endurance as well as any known information on the enemy vessel. "Captain," said Edgar as Nina turned to give him her attention.

"Sir, I believe another attack by the enemy will cripple our shields." Edgar then in a matter of fact attitude added "conventional tactics will likely result in our defeat. Surrender may provide the only possible survival of this situation. Perhaps a chance they will except our surrender and not destroy the ship."

I don't survive! thought Nina, I fight!!!

Nina looked Edgar angrily in the eyes "We're going to fight." She turned back around to face the view screen, straightened her back, and continued in a relatively calmer voice "hail the enemy vessel and everyone put on your best poker face."

"Remember captain, do not over act" put in Edgar.

Nina half smirked and let out an annoyed sigh. "I'll do my best."

"Sir, enemy vessel responding to our hail" came the voice of a bridge ensign.

"Main viewer."

The main view screen on the bridge of the Endurance flicked on and stayed flickering either due to internal damage or interference from the enemy ship. It didn't matter.

Appearing on the view screen was the captain of the crimson ship. The imposing figure stood dressed in black garb, shielded shoulders, and a long cloak covering a smooth featureless face that looked like it was made of metal.

The figure began to speak, as if telepathically, in a deep masculine voice. "I am Lord Rin Magura of the Royal Imperium. You have a ship of unknow design not on our records therefore, all though unlikely, we can comprehend that you might not be aware of the borders of our vast and great empire."

Careful to try and address with the correct title Nina answered Rin Magura as best as she could. "Lord Rin Magura please forgive any intrusion into your... territory. We," she quickly decided to lie, "-our starship was thrown off course by a nearby stellar phenomenon. If you could provide our navigator with maps of-"

"-A lie Captain."

Telepathy? Nina decided to trust her instinct. This man, or creature, spoke as if without a mouth. She had to tell some of the truth and hope he was only partially telepathic. That was her only play.

Nina continued "Sorry for the deception. Just thought it was easier than going into all the details surrounding the true nature of our visit. Our long range scans detected both a planet and settlement bellow. As explorers our primary mission is to seek out new civilizations and make contact. We do apologize if there was misunderstand or violation. We come in peace and can leave in peace."

Somehow Nina could sense a smile across the face of Lord Rin Magura. He tilted his head down and asked "was this settlement sending out distress calls captain?"

Nina stared straight ahead stopping herself from gulping or showing any sign of stress. "Yes." It was the straight truth.

"Captain I will assure you... in your game of words that the settlement bellow... they are all citizens of the Royal Imperium. This is an internal matter. Furthermore you are in our territory." The lord shifted with an annoyed sigh. "Now I have been more than patient with you captain, but my patience wears on myself and I find anger kreeping into my mind..."

Lord Rin Magura straightened, and his voice became colder; darker "...and you, with your deceptive nature can not be trusted in the least. In the name of the Royal Imperium you will surrender your vessel. Your people will be transported to some nearest neutral territory."

Nina smirked and half laughed from anxiety. "We wont surrender.. and I bet your ship will take one hell of a beating if you try anything."

"I think not Captain" replied Rin Magura as he raised a gloved hand. Rin Magura's hand appeared to grasp around an invisible object in front of him. With sudden unease Nina could feel something bearing down around her neck. It was perhaps the feeling of a miniature gravity well within her throat or a strangulation without any grip.

What's going on?! Thought Nina desperately.

Rin Magura kept his hand in front of him in a fierce gripping posture.

Nina began to claw at her throat. Why can't I breath!?

Lord Rin Magura looked so evil. So cruel.

Nina wanted to cry and in a soul crushing instant she thought IT'S NOT GOING TO END LIKE THIS!!!!

Also available for purchase at

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/a-winter-of-empires-james-bradford-huston/1137306565