Short Film - Rewind

Shivers ran up Gregory Thorne's spine as he came to the full realization that he was laying on top of a cold metal slab. Wires of different shapes, sizes, and colors were spread out all over his body. He noticed one in particular. It was large, opaque, and came from the darkness above. It connected straight into his head.

Another dream? He thought, but with that thought came the all too familiar awareness that only the conscious mind knew. If he wasn't dreaming, then, where was he?

A sick feeling echoed throughout his body and his vision became blurred. He started to lose consciousness, but before he slipped into darkness, he saw the image of a man with a mustache standing over him.

-

May 9, 2062: 0900: Cocoa Beach, FL

The dream was over, and Gregory awoke from the darkness.

The day started relatively normal. Other than the fact that it was his seventy fifth birthday Gregory was pleased that he could still experience normal days. He had his health and his son.

His son Simon Thorne was an extensively wealthy man having chosen a life pursuing career and wealth. He was president and co-owner of Orenith Industries and better known for his investments into space explorations which included the terra forming of the Martian landscape.

Gregory always seemed to recall that whenever he looked out the window into the clouds. Occasionally, he could see a space shuttle going up, and that would always make him smile. It was as if he was silently cheering his son on.

He turned and saw his wife's photo on the dresser. She was their every day to greet her husband. Gregory got up and went through his morning rituals, but before leaving the room he would always kiss his index finger and place it lovingly on the photo of his wife Ariel.

"See you soon" he would say each day before leaving.

-

The phone rang at precisely 1030. Gregory could sense who it was even before the phone reached his ears.

"Happy birthday dad" came the cheerful voice of his son. "Have a good sleep?"

"Actually, I did" replied Gregory. "Earn a million dollars yet?" he asked in a joking manner.

Simon laughed. "Don't go senile on me. I already took care of that a long time ago." He paused briefly reflecting to fond memories. "You used to ask me that all the time back when I was in college."

"Oh, that's right. You grew up." Gregory looked at the floor wondering deeply into the tiled pattern. "Time flies" he thought morbidly, but then sat up and forced himself to be more optimistic. "So how are things?"

The conversation carried on. The two talked about recent events in both their lives. There was a short discussion on a new book the two had read and a debate on political philosophies. Nearly a half an hour passed until finally Simon was called away by his business associates.

"Hey dad, one more thing" said Simon.

"What is it?" asked Gregory.

Simon cleared his throat as he presented a prepared statement he had been working up to. "How do you feel about sushi tonight?"

There was a moment's silence. "But Simon you're all the way in California."

"Well actually I'm in Washington DC right now." He cleared his throat again. "Of course, I have my own private jet, and a couple nights booked at an expensive hotel in Tokyo."