Chapter 14

DA UPDATE- TIS HEEREEE

ALSO, I APOLOGIZE FOR THE UGLINESS OF THE PIC ABOVE :D I WAS IN A RUSH TO MAKE IT FOR THIS PART :))) DONT MIND THE FACT THAT DEY DON'T HAVE CHAIRS AND ARE FLOATING

Will Pov

The ride to The Hearth was pretty quiet, except for the country music I had switched to. I tapped my foot to the rhythm of the guitar playing in the background and hummed along. Nico was looking out the window, not looking at anything in particular it seemed.

I glanced at him sideways. He seemed sad. The rest of the day wouldn't be as good if I couldn't cheer him up. I wondered what he was thinking about. He was just scrolling through his old graffiti on Instagram, and then he got sad. Maybe his graffiti reminded him of something bad. Maybe his dad. Every time I thought about that dic- that bastard, I got angrier. So I decided not to think about him for today, and focus on making Neeks happier. 

I smiled over at Nico, hoping for some conversation. "You ever been to the Hearth?"

Nico looks over, startled, but then shakes his head. "No, but I know the lady who owns it."

I raise my eyebrows, surprised. "Really? You know Rhea?"

Neek's nods. "Yeah. She's a nice lady."

I nod. Rhea is a nice/weird hippie lady, with a young daughter of about 9. Hestia, the girl, is the sweetest thing ever, and she always gives me a hug. They both manage the Café really well.

Hestia helps around a lot, and always makes friendly conversation with the customers, sometimes making them laugh, always making them smile.

Nico clears his throat, and my attention snaps back to him. "So.....the daughter? Rhea told me some about her, but not much. Is she a teen?"

I shake my head and chuckle, "She's 9 and she's the nicest girl. She always gives me a big hug when I come in. Rhea is nice too, but I don't know where her daughter got all the nice-ness. Plus she's pretty cute." 

I smile. "Where did you meet Rhea?"

Nico hesitates, then mutters, "My mom was friends with her. Not friends like close friends, but she was nice, and came to visit us sometimes. I saw her once after Mamá died. Hades didn't want her to come back afterwards, so I didn't see her much."

I nodded silently, taking it in. I had a feeling that I wasn't cheering him up, so I changed the subject. "I think you should probably be accepted for the job in the Pumpkin Spice Café soon. Lou Ellen is reviewing your application and resume, but I begged her and she can't resist my puppy-dog eyes." I grinned. (A/N Let's pretend he sent it in :D I forgot to put in that part in the other update lmfao)

Nico nodded and gave me a faint smile. Was that progress? I decided it was and smiled back at him. "Excited to be my soon-to-be co-worker?" I teased.

Nico snorted and rolled his eyes, "Hardly." He resorted.

I pouted, "Why? I'm a great co-worker."

Nico grins, "I think Alex, Lou Ellen, and all your other co-workers would beg to differ."

I groan, "They don't count."

"Really? Then who does?"

I grin, "The customers."

Nico sighs and rolls his eyes again. "They get the wrong point of view of you. Believe me."

I snickered, then perked up. "We're here!"

Nico groans "Why do you have to be so..... so enthusiastic?" He said it with no fondness.

I chuckled. "Why do you have to be so.....lethargic?"

Nico rolls his eyes. "I have energy. If I didn't I wouldn't be able to put up with you." He smiled sweetly, and my heart thumped.