Chapter 9

Nico pov
(TW; Deep Stuff, mention of multiple deaths, trauma?)

This just brings back a lot of memories. I remember my mama, twirling around in the kitchen with Hades, in her bright apron, splattered with all the colors of the rainbow. I could still smell the pasta, with the herbs and cheese. It smelled like Will's Mom's Pasta.

Speaking of which, I hadn't taken a bite yet. I knew they were all concerned, especially Will and his Mom. Kayla was only mildly attentive. I smiled at her, thankful for her calm and collectedness. I don't think I can handle pity right now, from the people that are so nice, yet all I'm doing is scrounging and mooching from them.
I take a bite, and once again I remember, sitting down at the table, with Bianca and Hades, Mama is gone. Bianca made pasta, after 2 years of not eating it, grieving for Mama. "We need to keep going" Bianca would say. "Mama wouldn't like us grieving in this form, for so long."

I feel tears coming and then remind myself, no, I don't. The tears are gone, replaced by a need to act like I'm okay, anything to make Will and his Mom stop looking at me with pity.

I take another and fake smile at Will's Mom. "It's delicious, Mrs. Solace," I say, not looking her in the eye, but I'm telling the truth. It's good, but Will's Mom is after all, a mom, and I fear she might be able to see the turmoil I feel, if she looked in my eyes.

"No need for that, call me Naomi." She says, a smile in her voice. I look up, and see her looking at me with not pity, but motherly concern.
I smile, truly this time, and say, "Ok, Naomi. It's delicious."

She smiles and says gently "Thank you, but I just followed a recipe. I didn't do anything added. So technically the recipe wasn't mine."

I shook my head and smiled. "A recipe is always yours. Nobody can do it the same exact way every time."

Except mama. A little voice whispered. I shook my head slightly to take that thought out of my head. Yes, mama did her recipe perfect every time. But it's in the past now. I kept telling myself that, but I don't think I truly believed it.

She smiles and nods. "Well, in any case, thank you,-"

I catch on. She didn't know what my last name was, and she didn't want to call me Nico without my consent.

I smile, "I call you Naomi, you call me Nico." I say.

"Well then, thank you , Nico."

I nod silently and continue with my second bite. And my third. And forth. Bite by bite, it's gone. Normally, I would gobble up what I can, then I would be sick later. My stomach isn't used to being full, or even close. I finish my plate, and wipe my mouth with a napkin. I wouldn't get seconds, no matter how much I wanted to. I would only puke, and that's something else they didn't need on their hands.

Will stands up and stretches. I avert my eyes when his shirt rides up little, exposing a few inches of his stomach. In the corner of my eye, I see Kayla snicker. I roll my eyes and stand up to do my dishes.

Will asks me, "Did you want more pasta?"

I shake my head and walk past him to the sink. Naomi calls out "You don't have to do them, it's Kayla's turn tonight."

I raise my eyebrows at her and she shakes her head vigorously and clasps her hands together like she's begging me.

I say politely to Naomi " It's fine. I'm used to it. I can wash my dishes, thanks."

She nods and continues eating. I see Will shake his head, and making sure that his mom isn't looking, I flip him off.

Will groans, "I'm going to put on a movie. Any requests?" He asks the general room.