02| BROKEN PROMISES

——————chapter two

——————
chapter two

HER HEART RACED AS SHE FOUND  herself in a dimly lit room, the flickering candlelight casting shadows on the walls. The air grew heavy, and a sense of unease settled over her. In the distance, she heard a faint voice calling out her name, growing louder with each passing moment.

Feeling a mix of relief and fear flooding through her veins, knowing it was her father. She followed the sound, drawn to the source of the voice. "Dad?" She called out to the man, who she instantly could recognise, from his light blue eyes, which were her favourite color.

No reply back. His presence starting to be both comforting, and haunting at the same time. She couldn't stop but think of the memories with her father, flooding straight into her mind.

But as Tessa reached closer to him, something changed. Liam Collin's figure began to shift, his once familiar face twisted into a horrifying mask. Her heart sank as she realized what was happening—

The voice that had called out to her now took on a sinister tone, filled with hunger. Tessa's blood ran cold as she witnessed the dead lunge towards her. It's once bright eyes, now grey and lifeless. She stumbled backwards, screams escaping her mouth, desperately trying to escape the clutches of the creature that had once been her father.

Tessa Collin's eyes flusters open, her heart still racing from the nightmare. Waking up to her mother sat next to her on the floor, with a concerned look all over her face, and gently moving the hair away from Tessa's sweaty face. Without any words being exchanged, the girl cries out onto her moms chest. Yet, it wasn't the first time she had dreams like that, and it for sure wouldn't be the last— she could never escape them.

"Tess, it's okay, i'm here baby. It was only a nightmare." Vega whispers to her daughter, wiping the tears away from her face. Tessa lays her head onto her mother's lap, who soothingly runs her fingers through her tangled hair, trying to calm her down.

——————

Tessa had drifted back to sleep, hopefully getting a more peaceful one this time. Vega had stayed up for about an hour, until she was sure her daughter was asleep again. Giving Tessa a quick kiss on the forehead, Vega got up from the floor, covering both Beth and Tessa with two blankets she had found inside a small closet.

"She alright?" Daryl asks.

Vega's heart nearly skips a beat, at the unexpected voice talking. "She just had a nightmare." She simply explains, sitting onto a tiny couch. "Did we wake you up?" The woman questions.