prologue

"WE GOT FOOD TO LAST US
probably only a few days more." Vega states, as she sets the two bags with remaining supplies they have, on the ground. Her mesmerizing hazel eye,  lock onto her husband's gaze, who proceeds to assemble the pair of tents they've got along, with the help of their daughter, Tessa.

Months has passed since the whole apocalypse began. It feels like an eternity of fighting the relentless undead and struggling to stay alive. Everyday being a battle for survival, scavenging for whatever supplies they could find amidst the chaos. The world has become a desolate place, but the Collins family are still doing their best to hold on and stay together.

Liam's shoulders slump, as he lets out a deep  sigh. "I'll go on a supply run tomorrow morning. Maybe there's still a few places we haven't passed by." He explains, then smiles to himself as he and Tessa finished assembling the tents, giving her a high five, and placing his arm around his daughter's shoulder.

"Dad, can i please come along too?" Tessa requests, looking up to her dad with a hopeful expression in her eyes, hoping he would let her come along. Liam Collins has always been overprotective, especially now that the dead practically owns the world.

By the look of Liam's face, Tessa could already tell it was gonna be a no, but suddenly there appeared a small chuckle from him.
"Okay, fine- I mean, you eventually have to learn how to take care of yourself hm?" He shakes his head, raising his hands up in defence.

Tessa's eyes widens, her face lighting up in excitement, whilst she's spinning around, earning laughter from her parents.

——————

THE NEXT MORNING, Liam was the only one awake, perched on sturdy stumps arranged in a circle around a crackling fire, he had started to keep himself warm, from the mornings cold air. The flames dance and flicker, casting a warm glow on Liam's face, as he's fiddling around with the knife he has, for protection.

Just when everything seemed calm, the dead emerge from the darkness. Their haunting moans echoing, as they shuffle towards Liam. His heart races as he grips the handle of his knife, his eyes locked on the dead.

Liam's heart fluttering with fear, letting out a sharp shout, "Vega, Tessa! Wake up!" As he plunges his knife into the closest dead's skull. With a quick shove, he positions the lifeless body in front of another approaching one.

Vega and Tessa quickly leaves the tent, their eyes widening in fear, as they witness Liam trying to fight off the dead. "Liam!" Vega screams, quickly grabbing her gun, aiming at the infected who her husband is struggling to fight off.

Tessa quickly starts packing their bags, a mix of fear and surprise inside of her. Just as Vega helps her husband fight the dead, she runs out of bullets. Her heart now beating faster, searching for another weapon, now that her gun is useless.

Liam quickly takes a look behind him, seeing a few more of the dead, not so far away. "We just need to take those too, i saw a place we can go to, it's not so far away." He informs the girl's, with his heavy breathing. Tucking Vega's front hair pieces behind her ears, and gives his daughter a forehead kiss, trying to calm them both down.

Liam and Vega plunges their knives directly into the walker's skull. The blade pierces through the decaying flesh, severing the connection between the brain and the undead body. With a shudder, the walker collapses to the ground, lifeless once more.

As Vega swiftly dispatches the final walker, her eyes catch Liam's pained expression. Tessa walks next to them, immediately notices her father's hand clutching his stomach, a sign that something is amiss. Concern etches across her face as she rushes to his side.

"Dad, you okay?" Tessa quickly asks.

He lets his hand go off his stomach, masking his discomfort,"It's nothing." Liam assures them, staring to lead them towards the cabin, he had seen before.

——————

THE COLLINS FAMILY
quickly made their way into the abandoned cabin, their eyes scanning the dimly lit interior of the empty cabin. Dust particles dancing in the slivers of light, that came visible from the sun, shining through the windows. The room carrying a faint scent of decay and neglect.

Tessa and Vega scans the cabin around, in case any danger was unnoticed. Luckily, nothing but them was in the small house. When the two returned to the room Liam was in, he was found, his gaze locked onto his own stomach.

"What's going on Liam?" Vega asks concerned, making her way to her husband, kneeling down besides him.

Their daughter copying her mom's action, confused on what's going on. "Vega, Tessa-"
Liam manages to get out, lifting his shirt slowly.

Vega then knew. She exchanged quick glances with her daughter. Their eyes fixated on Liam's exposed stomach, with a deep, jagged bite mark etched into his skin.