CHAPTER 58

Jasmine's POV 

When the old man said that, my heart pounded hard within my ribcage but I wasn't happy or excited about it.

I do not know if it's because I want to be the one to bring forth the evidence about me not being Andre or because I am not ready for all of this to be out yet even though I don't know how this man got to know I am not her.

Xavier on the other hand exclaimed in disbelief before dragging the man away.

I become uneasy.

I want to go with them and hear it all. Satisfy my curiosity about how he got to know the difference between Andre and me.

Is it just the personality or he knows something about me that I don't even know about myself?

Staring at the two guards behind my seat, I stand upright without thinking further and try to find my way towards the direction Xavier and the man, Frank are taking when one of the guards suddenly stands in front of me, blocking my way.

"I need to use the bathroom", I say to him slowly, hoping he will let me go. This is the only excuse I can think of at the moment.

Fortunately, he believes me and steps away from blocking me before standing right behind me again. When I take a step forward, he does the same and I let out a sigh of frustration, thinking of what to say to eventually get rid of him.

No idea comes to my head so I just decide to let things be. 

Briskly, I walk towards the place where I last saw Xavier and Frank but they are nowhere to be found. I turn around, glancing to scan the entire place to see if I can sight them when the guard appears before me again.

"The bathroom is that way, ma'am", he points in the opposite direction with a grim look on his face.

My gaze lingers on his for a moment as I try to think of something to say to him. 

"I know", I suddenly snap at him in frustration when I am out of excuses and ideas. Then I walk past him and he follows without a word.

Glad that he is no longer stopping me, I continue to walk until we get to a corridor and Xavier takes a turn. Hastily, I follow, making sure to be quiet so as not to be seen.

When I get to the turn, I watch him take the staircase up with the man as they engage in a deep conversation which I am sure is about me and Andre Moore.

When they enter a room, I rush forward and Ethan appears from nowhere.

I halt in my step, biting my lips in regret and turning back to see the other guard is gone. He must have alerted Ethan because I wasn't listening to him.

"You need to go back…"

"I know but I want to see my husband right now or can't I?" I cut him short with a bark, surprised at my tone too.

He seems taken aback and keeps quiet.

When he isn't talking anymore, I move past him but not before throwing him one of the usual cold glares he throws my way each time our paths cross.

I am sure he will follow behind but I don't care. I am desperate to know what is going on. What does that man mean by saying I am not Andre? I am dead curious to know what he knows and I want to know what Xavier will believe too.

The evidence is piling up already but I am sure he will call them indirect evidence. 

The only evidence that can convince him is the presence of my look-alike. 

Andre.

Without that, that idiot would never believe a thing.

Just before I get to the staircase, I see Catherina come out of one of the rooms and I turn back slightly so she won't see me.

I don't want interruptions from my plan.

My eyes fall on Ethan who is standing rigidly where I left him. Ignoring him, I look away, waiting patiently for Catherina to disappear.

She doesn't come down the staircase like I think she will. The moment I hear a door slam open and slam shut, I glance up and she is gone.

Quickly, I take the staircase up, holding firmly onto my black purse.

Now that I think of it, Catherina is indeed stunning. If she is Xavier's girlfriend as she claimed, I shouldn't feel threatened because I stand no chance with her.

I know Xavier chooses me but he must have his reasons. Andre and I might look alike too but I stand no chance with her either.

These two women are classy and sophisticated. The exact type of women that men of his caliber date or get married to.

Not a low life like me.

I shouldn't be bothered about her since I am not Andre and my relationship with Xavier isn't even real. I will be out of here soon. As soon as Andre is back to take my place, I don't need to bother myself about any of them.

I can't deny the jealousy I felt rising in my insides but I was quick to disguise it with just surprise.

I shouldn't feel that way but I couldn't help it because I thought I meant something to him since he claimed to have liked kissing me.

But at this moment, I realized how much of a fool I am. Xavier can't love a woman, especially not me.

So I need to find Andre and get the hell out of here.

When I get to the door where I see Xavier and Frank entering, I stop, closing my eyes as I hold the door handle, not because I intend to go in but because I want to make Ethan believe I was going in since my excuse is to see Xavier.

I am breathless because of the urgency in my steps as I take the staircase up. The mansion is really a huge one and the stairwell is way too much.

An idea hits me when I hear Xavier's voice from inside which is barely audible.

I fish out my phone from my purse, pretending to dial Xavier's number as I stand with my right ear to the door and the phone glued to my ears.

Moving closer to the door so I can eavesdrop, I keep the phone glued to my ears, not looking to see if Ethan is convinced of my drama or not.

"I know Andre Moore more than anyone else, except her father. Did he tell you she was her?" Frank's gruff voice demands from Xavier.

Instead of a reply, silence follows.

Does he believe him now? Is he still in doubt?

My heart begins to beat loudly.

Then I see Ethan stalking up the stairs towards him. He must have figured it out. I shut my eyes, praying silently for a miracle.

"He didn't but I don't believe him", Xavier's answer finally comes and I feel a rush of anger at his reply. I suddenly feel like bursting into the room and smacking him across his face.

His ego is still at work.

He would never believe anyone, not even Frank.

"You have to…"

"Why? Why do you think she isn't her? You know how many tricks Andre pulled on me. What if this is just part of it?" he cuts the man shut. I can sense the anger in his voice too.

"Xavier, she is not Andre…"

"Why do you think so?" Xavier's voice comes again, this time calmer.

Silence follows.

Then Ethan grabs me. "You have to go back to the party now!" he commands but the will to bark at him like I did a while ago is gone. I don't have any more excuses to be here. If I insist or act stubborn, then Xavier will get to know and that way, things will become awkward between us.

I don't want things to become awkward yet. Not until I have solid evidence to prove to him. My curiosity is what brought me here in the first place.

Besides, I don't want him to know I heard his discussion with Frank and I don't want him to think I am going to go back on my promise to keep calm till I can find Andre myself.

Just before I can comply, Frank speaks up. "She is a twin", he announces and Ethan grabs me towards the staircase, my ears itching to hear more.

Who is he talking about?

Andre or me? Does he mean we are related? 

Andre and I are twins?

I don't want to dwell much on this because I don't want to believe I am related to that bitch or that crazy, selfish woman who is my mother.

I know my mother. I can still feel her presence. I know my background and this is definitely not it.

When we get to the landing, I yank my hand free, furious over the whole confusion. He doesn't grab me back so I shoot him a glare and begin to walk back graciously to the party.

When I take the turn leading to the corridor, someone bumps into me. Just before I can apologize, I see his face and a smile creeps to my expression.

"Dad?" I suddenly call out. Not because I want to use the word dad but because I am excited to be given such a golden opportunity.

Xavier is busy with Frank, debating about my life and Mr. Moore is here. Just the person I needed.

He smiles at me sweetly before embracing me. 

"I wanted to call you earlier", I tell him. "Can we talk? There is something I need to talk to you about."

He doesn't seem enthusiastic about talking to me like he was on our wedding day. I watch him shift his gaze to the rigid Ethan and I pat his shoulder in assurance.

"I want to talk to my Dad or can't I do that again?" I ask Ethan, daring him to stop me this time. He does not say a word. "And we need some privacy, please. I don't want you eavesdropping on private matters between my Father and me."

His face turns stony. But I don't care.

Without hesitation, I grab Mr. Moore's hand and begin to walk away with him towards another direction.

Not in the direction where Xavier can see us and not in the direction where the party is going.

I just want us to be away from here. From Xavier. From Ethan and the party so I can tell him all I know and also find out the truth about this whole thing.

This way, I can find a means to put an end to all of this confusion and doubts in my mind and that of Xavier's.

****
Will Jasmine succeed in finding out the truth? What other thing is Xavier hiding? Will Mr. Moore help Jasmine like he promised?

Air your views and don't forget to vote❤️