CHAPTER 28

Jasmine's POV 

My cheeks burn red like a tomato in embarrassment as I scurry out in my silky robe and with my breakfast alongside my new iPhone.

I never knew he was inside. I was too engrossed with the new phone and the thought of how I would take advantage of the gift to know that he was in the bathroom.

I shouldn't have gone to the bathroom naked. Why didn't I tie a towel around myself? How do I face him now?

I find my way to the kitchen. The maids do not notice me until I clear my throat and the head maid, Paulina stares at me for a while before they know.

"Is everything ok? Do you want us to microwave the food again, ma'am?" she regarded me with a look I can't place. She always gives me that pitiful look but today it is different.

I shake my head.

I'm damn hungry already. I only came out because I wanted to avoid Xavier. I really do not know how to face him after seeing each other's nakedness.

This ought to be normal. We are man and wife after all but it isn't normal. Our marriage isn't normal. It isn't real and we are not meant to consummate our marriage which means we don't need to see each other's nakedness.

Consummation means seeing our nudity is inevitable.

At the thought of consummation, fear and anxiety gnaw at my heart and a flush rise to my face once more.

"Are you ok?" Paulina breaks into my thoughts. Quickly I nod.

"Can I eat here?" I ask here, noticing that the rest of the maids have gone back to their work. I see them bring out some baked chicken from the oven as well as some bread.

It makes me wonder who exactly they feed with all of these.

Paulina gets me a stool and I sit to eat my meal, still observing them. They seem to be doing one job or the other. It is a continuous process that seems to go on and on. The moment they are done with one, they start with another meal.

Is Xavier feeding a nation?

Paulina comes to clear my plate as soon as I am done, allowing me to ask the question in my mind. "All these meals in a day?"

She looks surprised at first but it is quickly replaced with a smile. "Yes, ma'am."

I shake my head. "Please call me Jasmine."

Her eyes widen a little before she shakes her head in disagreement, making me remember the situation I am in. They must all believe I am her too.

"The boss won't allow it, ma'am", she looks down at her feet, her hands clasped behind her.

I nod. I won't push further. Even I am scared of Xavier. He is one unpredictable devil. I guess it's normal that his maids are very scared of him too. They probably won't do anything to piss him off.

Remembering how I woke up to see him sitting beside the bed just like the other night, I wonder if he sleeps at all.

That aside, I have never seen him eat anything. Does he eat? Is he even human?

"Xavier will be going out soon, I guess, have you served his meal?" I question her, feeling a little chirpy and wanting to chat. I have to be sure he is gone first before going back to the room to take a bath and head back to bed.

I have to explore my new phone, then get to work. Finding Andre is my new job, but now that I have a phone, I really do not have any idea on how to start looking for her.

"The boss usually takes coffee for breakfast, ma'am", she responds, watching me with amazement, as though this is something I ought to know.

"Oh!" I murmur. "But it's noon already. You should get his lunch to him before he leaves. He might come back late tonight like he did yesterday."

She smiles and replies. "He doesn't eat lunch."

I raise a confused brow. "Why?"

She shrugs without a word. 

"Does he even eat at all?" I ask her again with full curiosity. She shakes her head. "Really?"

A gasp leaves my mouth when she shakes her head again. I knew it. Xavier isn't a complete human. Is he a werewolf or a vampire who feeds on blood and humans? Is that why he doesn't sleep at night? 

"I guess it's a kind of sickness but he throws up whenever he eats. We only serve his coffee for breakfast, lunch and dinner." she completes, filling the void of my curiosity.

I used to work in a restaurant. I know a man who comes to our restaurant to eat daily. Whenever he comes late and the cook is gone, he is always willing to pay anything just to get something to eat.

My inquisitiveness took over and I questioned him why he was being weird. He could only stomach the restaurant food. That answered my numerous questions. The numerous questions about why a wealthy man like him would choose to eat from a local restaurant like ours.

He liked my meals.

After a while, he stopped coming. I used to get a huge tip from him and I missed him, hoping he is fine wherever he is.

"Has he always been like that?" I ask him, jolting alert when a pan drops from one of the maid's hands.

"Not really but I guess yes for as long as I can remember."

I lapse in silence, wondering what is wrong with him and if he's indeed normal. A normal human being.

"The previous head maid died so I took her place. He used to eat her meals, which is why I can't give a specific answer to your question. I guess it's because he grew up with her."

I nod, finally putting the pieces of the puzzle together. I get it now.

"Do you know his favorite?" I demand again, looking up with an idea drifting into my head. She shakes her head and signals to one of the girls who comes sauntering. She speaks Italian to the girl who gives her a reply before she waves her away.

"Rumor has it that he used to love lasagna but I don't know if it's true", she mutters, watching the girl and making me look in that direction. "She is the previous head maid's daughter, that's why I asked her."

I nod gingerly, feeling giddy and hoping this plan in my head will work. The restaurant I was working at in Chicago didn't know my worth but that man did. He always comes to our restaurant to get the food but the moment he tasted my cooking, he couldn't stop coming. 

I should probably do something similar for Xavier. Maybe it will work and he will be able to stomach some food.

How has he been surviving all these years just on coffee? 

I might be doing this on my own free will but I guess if it works, it will be a way of appreciating him for watching me overnight and for getting me a new phone as promised.

He might be as stone-hearted as a devil but I guess he still exhibits a tiny bit of human emotions. Sometimes, he can be nice and sweet while other times, he can be cranky and irritable.

I will overlook that.

Tonight, I will cook him a meal and if he can stomach it, I don't mind doing that for him for as long as I live here.

With a smile on my face, I jump down from the stool feeling energetic. I say to Paulina. "Get the ingredients ready, I'm cooking for everyone tonight."

Her eyes fly open and her mouth drops open in extreme shock and disbelief. "What?!"

****
Air your views and don't forget to vote❤️