Chapter 21: what the...?

"So did you ever find anything during your rounds?" Phoenix asked.

"No... Nothing yet.." Kareu stated,

"What about you?" She finishes looking over to him, he looks over his shoulder.

"Nothing." He says in his usual quiet, husky voice."I see." Kareu says.

"Well, there's always tonight." She remarks. "Yeah, hopefully." Phoenix commented.

......

"Ehh, are you sure you'd like to continue watching at night?" The old woman said in her hoarse feathery voice.

"We're very sure." Kareu replies.

"Ah well, I suppose I can allow it." The woman announces. Kareu eyes light up and she bids a quick 'thank you' before leaving out the door into the hall full of children, while looking for phoenix she notices the girl she saved a few days ago and walks up to her.

"Hey, how are you?" Kareu says, the girl looks over.

"Uh, I-i'm fine..." The girl responds quietly with a trembly voice, she seems shy.

"I'm glad, your wound seems to be healing well." Kareu noted.

"Yeah..." There was silence for a moment.

"Well I'm glad you're doing well, goodbye." Kareu blurted before running off to find phoenix.

"Phoenix? Where are you?" Kareu says speed walking through the halls, she notices a younger girl standing by one of the rooms and walks up to her.

"Hello there." Kareu says softly as she bends slightly to get more eye level with the girl.

"Hello." The girl says simply, the girl has dark brown eyes and black hair in two tiny braids.

"Do you know where the staff worker phoenix is?" Kareu spoke smiling slightly to appear less intimidating to the girl. The girl nods.

"He's in that room." The girl says pointing to the room she has been standing infront of. Kareu looks up and realizes its the medical room, she hopes mahina hasn't hurt him in some way. She walks in and sees him laying down he looks uncomfortable and hot, sweat on his forehead and neck. Kareu walks up to him.

"Psst, psst, phoenix are you alright?" She whispers, phoenix slightly opens his eyes and looks over to her.

"Yeah... I just got a fever, I'll.. Be fine..in a few minutes." He responds trying to be nonchalant while being in clear discomfort and pain.

" He responds trying to be nonchalant while being in clear discomfort and pain

"A few minutes?" Kareu blurts.

"Are you insane? If you have a fever it could take at least a few hours up to a day. Please be responsible and let yourself get better. How'd you even get this sick? You were fine a couple hours ago when dawn came." Kareu said.

"I hadn't been feeling well for a few hours after I had to walk around the orphanage, I thought perhaps it was allergies or something small, but i was wrong..." Phoenix replies, turning pink from the slight embarrassment of not taking care of his health.

"I'll ask to watch over you, but don't let this become common, we have an important duty that must be done." Kareu says getting a stool and placing it next to his bed and accompanying him.

"Eh... I'll sure try Kareu.." He mumbles in a hoarse tone.

"Good."

......

"That boy is sick? That should make my job easier, these two gave themselves away easily, but they seem to be on high alert. Finding a good time to attack is actually quite difficult... Whatever, I'm sure it'll be fine.."

......

End of chapter 21: What the...?

New chapter coming soon

Chapter 22: Phoenix?

......