Chapter 10

Many more days went by. When Milk Tea checked the calendar in her small room beneath Red Velvet's bedroom, she grinned. It was the end of the month at last. She could go home now! Or... she could find her friends. Oh, where did they leave off while she was there? She exhaled and changed into a silver changshan with a pink and blue trim. She also put on blue fingerless gloves that covered her forearms and dark pants with sneakers. To top it off, she ditched her classic hairstyle; two buns, two combed ends, and the rest in a braid in the back, and combed out all her hair, tying the three uneven chunks in braids, putting a baseball cap on; pink with a blue visor. Exiting her room, she saw that the general wasn't waiting for her. Milk Tea snuck through the halls to see a plate of food with a sticky note on the side. It just had a smiley face and a mushroom as the signature. "Huh... Shroomie wanted to make me breakfast...? How nice of him."

She took the plate of food and sat down to eat it. The taste of scrambled eggs, blueberry waffles, and whipped cream filled her taste buds, and boy did she need food for the trip ahead of her. When she finished eating, Milk Tea made her way past a few other doors and entered where she and Red Velvet met, only to see that the gates were opened. Finally, freedom awaited her! Milk Tea was bouncing on her toes as she ran to the gates. Two arms then latched around her waist, pulling her back. One was concealed by a black glove, and the other was large, red, and white with black fingernails. "Do you... have to go?"

Milk Tea turned to face Red Velvet. His eyes looked glossy as he nibbled on his bottom lip. "I'm afraid I have to. But maybe we'll run into each other another day," she responded.

"Yeah. But... I'm gonna miss you."

A smile spread on Milk Tea's face as Red Velvet let go. The two finally locked eyes, staying there for a while. "I'll miss you too. But remember that plush cupcake I made you? It'll be a resemblance of me. So whenever you get lonely, keep the cupcake so you're reminded of me," she said, giving him a reassuring hand on the shoulder.

It made a small tear fall from Red Velvet's eye as he sniffed, now biting his lower lip. As he spoke, his voice was uneven. Quivering. On the verge of crying. "I felt a deep connection with you, Milk Tea. Your smile... I-It brought us happiness and joy where our Master would forbid anything happy to enter. I'm thankful y-you came to us. I'm glad you appeared in our lives to make us... happier."

Stuttering wasn't part of him. Why would he be doing it now? His heart was about to shatter into a million pieces. And Milk Tea could see that, for she hugged him. One that seemed like it could last a lifetime. The sound of Red Velvet's choked gasp caught the attention of some of his Cake Beasts, as well as the other Cookies of Darkness. Pomegranate, Strawberry Crepe, Licorice, Poison Mushroom, and Dark Choco entered to see this, stopping in the doorway connecting the Tower to the main castle. "You're going to be okay... I may leave you physically, but I won't leave you mentally. In your heart, I'll always be there," Milk Tea whispered.

Now, she had done it. Red Velvet nodded, returning her hug as he let out a soft cry. Pomegranate exhaled, covering her lips with her mirror. Dark Choco closed his working eye as Poison Mushroom and Licorice watched silently. But Strawberry Crepe also felt sad Milk Tea was leaving. "Are you feeling better?"

"I... N-Not really..."

Milk Tea giggled and gave him one last squeeze before pulling off and walking closer to the gates. Red Velvet stood there, trying to hold back another tear. Pomegranate then walked to him, putting a hand on his arm. "If you want to tell her how you feel, go tell her," she whispered.

He nodded and ran to Milk Tea, calling her name. She turned around to see the general, chest heaving and teary-eyed. "Listen. I have something to tell you, but... I can't say it in words..."