Barrow's Plan (May 1920)

Start from the beginning

"Mrs. O'Brien's words should be taken with caution," Mr. Carson agreed with a sigh. "Fortunately, Alfred was kind enough to clean up the mess... I think we can let the matter rest. I will tell His Lordship what happened. I don't think he'll talk to Emma if I tell him it was all just an accident."

"Thank you, Mister Carson. But You know, as a father, I come across various disciplinary measures from school and other parents. It would be appropriate for Mrs. O'Brien to apologize for her behavior towards Emma and to be accountable for her actions," Thomas said.

"That would be appropriate..." Carson mumbled. "I don't want the child to be spoiled."

"Indeed, neither do I," Barrow grinned slyly.

As soon as Thomas closed the door to Carson's office, Emma opened her mouth, causing the valet to immediately place a finger to his lips. He signaled for her to be silent. He didn't have much time because Carson was now coming out of his office, giving the Barrows a stern look.

"Daddy," Emma reached her arms upward, "Can you carry me up the stairs? My knee still hurts!"

Thomas's expression sharpened. What did this child think she was doing? Nevertheless, he bent down to carry Emma on his back to give her a piggyback ride.

"You've gotten quite heavy, little dwarf," Thomas said playfully as he slowly made his way up the stairs. Emma giggled and wrapped her arms tightly around his neck.

"I'm not," Emma protested. She may be 8 years old, but she still loved being carried piggyback by her father.

In the stairwell, they encountered Mrs. O'Brien, who smiled cheerfully. "Well, did you two get into trouble?"

"What do you think, Emma? Was Mr. Carson upset?" Thomas asked in surprise.

"Definitely. He was beside himself with anger!" Emma recounted dramatically. "So, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes, Mrs. O'Brien," Emma now turned to the nasty maid. "He doesn't take it well when children get hurt."

O'Brien's gaze fell on Emma's knees. It was evident she was contemplating her next words and actions.

"Absolutely right," Thomas agreed. "I also don't take it well when someone sets a trap and hurts my child." Thomas took a deep breath, fixed his stern gaze on the maid before continuing, "You've gone too far with this, and I won't just let it slide. You will regret it."

O'Brien's smile disappeared. An uncomfortable silence descended upon the stairwell as Emma clung tightly to her father. After a brief moment of hesitation, Mrs. O'Brien cleared her throat and attempted to defuse the situation. "I'm sure it's all just a big misunderstanding. Who knows what lies the brat is telling."

"I don't think so. Emma told her side of the story. Children don't lie, unlike you, Mrs. O'Brien, and everyone knows that."

Emma, who still sat piggyback on her father's back, had by now loosened her arms from around his neck. She watched with anticipation as O'Brien angrily descended the stairs, while Thomas continued his way to the attic.

He release her in their bedroom. She plopped right onto her bed, reaching for her stuffed dog and hugging it tightly to her chest.

"You lied," it bubbled out of her, "I got the injury from playing!"

"Oh really?" Thomas raised an eyebrow in surprise. "May I remind you that you started with the lying, or will Mister Matthew confirm your story?"

"You know how children are," Emma shrugged. "We always add something new to a story but Children don't lie."

Thomas looked at Emma with a forgiving smile and sat down beside her on the bed. "I guess we both lied for our own good... but promise me, little dwarf, that you'll always be honest with me, alright?"

"Promise," Emma smiled. While the stuffed dog rested in her lap, she almost absentmindedly examined the charms on her bracelet. It had been a Christmas gift from her Dad. Emma wore the bracelet every day and loved the three different charms.

"Do you know why I chose these charms?" Thomas asked curiously. Emma shook her head.

"Each charm has a very special meaning," he began to explain, "A star for all your dreams and wishes, a heart for love, and a little book for the stories we've read together."

Emma listened to Thomas's words and smiled. The meaning behind the charms made the bracelet even more precious to her. She gently ran her fingers over the charms, feeling the smooth contours and the loving thoughts that went into each one. When she looked up from her bracelet, her gaze met her father's gray-blue eyes. Emma wasn't in the mood for talking, as if she had reached her maximum word limit for the day. However, she leaned against her father's side. He seemed to have had no more words left either, as he simply held her in a silent embrace. Sometimes, they didn't need words to express their affection.

The next morning, Emma joyfully skipped down the stairs. Mr. Carson stood at the head of the table, with the servants behind their chairs, waiting for the butler to sit down. He looked sternly at Mrs. O'Brien, his eyes radiating authority. "Mrs. O'Brien," Mr. Carson cleared his throat, "Have you apologized to Emma Grace yet? I cannot tolerate how you have treated a child here and continue to deny everything, even though a child has genuinely confessed to his mistake."

"No, Mr. Carson," O'Brien reluctantly admitted, "I think it's more of a her word against mine situation."

"But it's not," Mr. Carson replied firmly.

Mrs. O'Brien sighed and took a moment to survey everyone in the room. Then, albeit unwillingly, she turned back to Emma. "I'm sorry, Emma Grace Barrow."

Emma nodded slightly. Thomas observed the scene attentively and couldn't hide his mischievous grin. One should never mess with a Barrow.

Mr. Carson looked satisfied with the resolution. "Very well, now that we've settled this matter, we can return to our duties."

The servants took their seats at the breakfast table, and the atmosphere in the room gradually relaxed.

"I've placed an advertisement for a new footman," Carson announced.

"He will be the second footman, won't he?" O'Brien inquired hopefully.

"As to that, I will make no pronouncements at this stage," Carson replied.

"Try to find a man with something about him, Mr. Carson. I don't like to feel the house isn't being properly represented," Thomas suggested.

"Is that aimed at me?" Alfred felt attacked.

"If the cap fits,wear it" Thomas retorted.

"He doesn't need to," O'Brien shot a venomous glare, "You've been ensuring for years that we aren't properly represented." Thomas glared at the maid with displeasure. He was not pleased that O'Brien kept involving his daughter in this conflict.