Chapter 8 - Drunk Finneas and Josh

Then I woke up.

I rubbed my eyes and checked the time on my phone; 10am. I dream about Finn a lot. It's no news. I stand up, make my bed and go over to my drawer. I pick out a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt.

The house is quiet. I guess mom and dad's at work. Josh is probably out jogging or something. I don't bother calling him to make sure. I feel a little sad today. And I have a headache. I walk in to the bathroom and wash my face. I open the medicine cabinet and take out an aspirin. Then I get dressed and walk downstairs.

I was right. No one's home. I see a note on the kitchen island; "You're dad I am at the store, we will be back in an hour or so." Sounds perfect if you ask me. Then I'll go down to the beach for a swim alone. I take out a bowl and take the cereal from the cabinet. Pour some milk in it and walk to the sofa.

An hour or so later I hear the front door open and mom and dad walks in.
- Anyone home?
Mom calls.
- Yeah.
I say and stand up the greet them and to sneak a peak into the shopping bags for something eatable. Mom hugs me and dad gives me a kiss on the cheek while he's on the phone.
- You got anything good there?
I say. Mom smiles and hands me a bag of candy. Sour patch kids.
- Thank you.
I say and walk happily towards the living room. The front door opens again and I hear the boys walk inside.
- Mom, dad?
Josh yells while he takes of his shoes.
- Honey?
Mom asks. The boys walk into the living room and towards the kitchen. Finneas looks at me and sits next to me in the sofa.
- Hey.
He says. I change the channel and nod. I don't look at him.
- You not in the mood for a chat?
He says, and I can hear him smile while he says it. I ignore him, I know it's childish but after the dream I had tonight about him I know if I look at him I'll feel more for him. And I can't do that. But I don't want it to be bad between us.
- I'm just tired.
I say. Still not looking at him.
- Long night?
- Yeah.
He hums on a song and lies down on the sofa. Josh comes in and sits down.
- You wanna come with us to a bonfire tonight?
He asks me. Is he for real?
- Josh did you hit your head this morning?
He rolls his eyes.
- I'm asking you, I think you're old enough to come with us to things now.
- Alright I'll come.
I say quick. Josh nods and takes out he's phone and types something. Finneas is sitting up now, looking at me.
- This is gonna be fun.
He says trying to look sweet.
- When is it?
I ask.
- We'll leave around 8.
Josh says as he stands up to get the PlayStation working.
- You in, Finn?
Finn nods and takes the controller from Josh.
- You in too?
Finn looks at me. I smile and take a controller.
We play for hours, til 7. When I stand up to get ready.

I put on a orange, pink long dress. Style my hair into a low ponytail and put on a perfume, that smells like coconut and green tea. Then I walk down stairs. Finneas is standing by the hallway mirror. Fixing his hair.
- You look good.
I say to him. He turn around and smiles.
- You too.
I walk down to him and take a strand of his hair and fixes it.
- I like you're hair messy.
Finn looks at me. He's about to say something when Josh comes in.
- Everyone ready?
- Yep.
Me and Finn says at the same time. I look down and he chuckles.

We sit in the car for 15 minutes until we're at the beach. There's a lot of cars here already. Teenagers walking with drinks in their hand towards the beach. Where I see the bonfire.
- Okay, ground rules Linny.
Josh says and turns to look at me in the backseat. I roll my eyes.
- No drinking, or- okay 1 drink.
I nod, knowing that he'll forget about that when he's busy making out with some girl already drunk himself.
- I'll keep an eye on her.
Finneas says also looking back at me. I tilt my head to the side.
- Sure you will.
Also knowing that Finn will forget about it too, once he's making out with a girl him too.
- Alright, let's go.
Josh says and we leave the car.

When we're down by the beach I grab a cider.
- One drink Linny.
Finneas says behind my shoulder.
- Relax dad.
He smiles and stands in front of me.
- I know, I won't tell Josh. Have fun Linny.
Then he walks of to a group of people. Leaving me alone. In front of a table full of alcohol. I watch him as he stands beside a girl. He rests his arm on her shoulder.
- That motherf-
- Hi. Linnea right?
I turn around and see Travis.
- Hi, yeah it's Linny for short though.
- Righty.
He says and we stand there quiet for some time. He looks good. He has a buttoned up black shirt and a pair of beige linen pants. His hair is slicked to the side.
- You look good.
He says.
- You took those words right out of my mouth, but about you for me.
I look away. This is not going well.
- Thanks.
He says and chuckles. I can feel my cheeks turn red. He had a pretty laugh.
- You want a beer?
He grabs me one. I look around to see if Josh or Finn's around.
- Sure.
I say smiling and takes it from him. He points with his thump towards the water.
- You wanna go?
- Yeah!
I say. Maybe a little bit to exited. He smiles and then we walk.

We sit down on the sand and open our beers.
- Cheers.
He says and I smile.
- You a senior?
I take a sip.
- No, I'm staring Junior year this fall.
He smiles.
- Me too!
- Really?
I already knew that though.
- I'm on the football team.
Travis says.
- You on any team?
I shake my head.
- No. I'm not really a sports fan.
I say scrunching my nose. He laughs.
- I get it.

We sit there and talk about school for some time. Until I hear someone yelling. I turn around and see Finneas standing by the bonfire with some other guy.
- What did you say?
Finneas say and drops his can of beer on the sand. I can tell his drunk.
- Let's go, you and me asshole!
I stand up and walk towards the crowd that's watching them. I see Josh.
- Josh, you have to do something!
I say as he turns to look at me. He's making out with some girl.
- Josh!
He looks at me.
- What?
I point at Finneas who's folding the arms on he's sweater. Josh stands up.
- Shit.
He says and walks towards them.
- Hey! Finn stop it man!
He says and stands in front of him.
- Don't.
Finn says, he pushes Josh to the side.
- Comon man, let's go.
Josh takes his arm.
- You just gonna leave when this man talks shit about you're sister.
Josh looks at him, I look confused. Then Finneas turns around to look at me.
- I don't know what he said Finn, and I would beat the shit out of this man if it weren't for it being a really bad time right now. Comon, let's go.
Josh says. Finneas sighs and turns to walk away with Josh.
- Yeah, you go man. Let me be alone with your girl. She needs me more then you.
The guy says. Then Finn quickly turns around and punches him in the face. The guy falls down and his bleeding from his nose.

Sirens are ringing and people start to run. Travis takes my hand.
- I'll drive you home!
I look at Finn who's touching his fist. It looked like it hurt.
- I'm sorry, I gotta go help him.
I say and walk towards Finneas and Josh.
- Comon!
I say and we start to run towards our car.
- I'm drunk Linn, I can't drive.
Josh says.
- Why did we even drive here then?
I look annoyed.
- Because I thought you could drive!
- I don't even have a drivings license?
I yell.
- Shit, I forgot.
Josh says. I roll my eyes and look at Finn who has trouble even standing.
- Okay I'll drive, quick let's go!
They both sit down in the backseat and I start the car and drive off.

We come home. And both of the guys ate whining in the backseat.
- Alright morons, let's get you two inside.
They slowly exit the car and I help them walk inside. Mom and dad is probably asleep so I open the door quietly and and lead them both upstairs, trying not to make any sound. I put Josh into his bed and Finn into mine. I'll sleep on the couch tonight. Finneas grabs my hand.
- Did I tell you that you looked very pretty tonight?
He says half falling asleep. I smile and pinch his hand.
- Yeah you did actually.
He smiles and then he starts snoring.

I walk downstairs holding a cover and a pillow. I make the sofa and lay down. What a night... I sigh and start drifting in to a deep sleep.