Chapter Forty-Two

I was having a perfectly normal day at Heights County Day.

Well as normal as it can get when there's been an interview of your boyfriend kissing your twin sister and the fact that there could be a lost heir to the fortune you and your twin sister inherited and everything else going on has been out in the news.

As much as Avery and I both wanted to stay at Hawthorne House today sadly we were sent to school, Alisa making sure we went.

The day had felt much longer than normal, people not looking at us directly to make it seem like they weren't looking at us at all.

By lunch I had received a message by Grayson, telling me to meet him outside.

I hesitated slightly as I made my way to the front of the school.

I know this isn't going to end well, I know this isn't going to go according to plan.

But I still go.

I still go to the front of the school where he is waiting for me in a car.

I still get in the passenger side.

He doesn't look at me. Not directly.

"Gray," I speak before he does.

"Don't Ash, please." His voice is quiet, almost as though he is pleading with me, begging me to not mention the day before yesterday or the night before that or even yesterday's letters.

"You've got to change."

"What why? Where are we going Gray? What are we doing?" I quickly ask.

He hands me a small stack of clothes and directs me to get in the back of the car.

"I can't change here if you don't want to get caught Gray, we need to go somewhere away from here unless you want me to get dragged back in there."

Grayson sighs quietly before he starts driving, pulling out of the school.

"What are we doing Grayson?" I ask, looking at him, trying to figure out what is going on in his mind.

"We're going to Hawthorne Island."

"What? Why? We shouldn't be doing that Grayson. We don't know how dangerous it is. The town, Rockaway Watch, we don't know how dangerous they are, we don't know how dangerous my family is Grayson."

"Your family?"

"Kaylie Rooney was my mom's sister. It said it in the postcards. The fire on Hawthorne Island killed my mom's sister and my mom helped nurse Toby back to health. They won't like you Grayson. They won't like me."

"That doesn't matter Ash. We've got to go to Hawthorne Island. We've got to go find something. Anything."

"What about the others?"

"We can call them once we're there. We're looking to help them, we're not trying to beat them."

Grayson suddenly pulled over into a quiet parking lot.

"Hurry and get changed."

I quickly got out of the car, sliding into the back seat as I unbuttoned my shirt, slipping a sweater on.

"Are you done?" Grayson asks, looking down at his phone.

"Give me a second" I spoke as I slipped my shoes on.

I quickly slide out of the back of the car before getting into the front passenger side once more.

"We shouldn't be doing this Grayson." 

"I need to Ash." He spoke, not looking in my direction as he starts driving once more.

[I'm alive??? What?? Psh no way!

The last four months have been chaos, complete chaos. 

I moved out of home in the last month, I've been working nonstop, in fact, I am actually on day 4 of a 9 day work week, I'm studying for exams which are in 18 days and could take up to 9 hours and trying to do normal school work along with attempting to write stories and scripts for short films oh and I go for my license next month! Safe to say it's been hectic.

Oh and I found myself in a classic book love triangle (You know... the ones that aren't a triangle and are in fact just a straight line where people are interested in one another but not Person a liking person b but person b liking person c but person c liking person a.

No yeah though, me and my coworker that is also my flat mate have been getting very close but then I might also have a thing with another of my coworkers?? Idk it's weird and complicated and overwhelming.

But I will try this time I swear!

Have a good 24 hour cycle]