Chapter Thirty-One

That evening, a bit before the sunset I found myself sitting on the front entrance steps, looking out over the mountain.

I hear footsteps behind me, leaving the house.

I look up to see Jameson, he stands there for a few moments before he moves, walking down the steps, leaving the front door open.

"Jameson, did you not get taught to close the doors when you leave a room?" I quickly ask, going to stand up to close it.

I move to close the door but before I can even touch it I feel something hit me in the back.

That something was cold.

I turn slowly to face the older boy, who just looks over at me innocently.

"Did you just throw a snowball at me?" I ask him, narrowing my eyes as I look him over.

"Why on earth would you think that Ash? I could never do that, not to you, my landlord" He smirks as he rocks back and forth on the heels of his feet for a few moments.

"You mother fucker" I whisper under my breath before I go to take a step toward him.

I quickly jump down the stairs, making sure to not slip on them before I grab a handful of snow, throwing it as hard as I could into his chest as he steps backward.

"You just threw snow at me!" He yelps, placing his hand on his chest, faking hurt.

He bends down at the same time I do, both of us going for another handful.

"We don't have to do this Ash, you could drop the snow now, and walk inside unharmed" Jameson says, raising his brow as he does so.

"Oh you're on Hawthorne" I reply, a smirk playing over my lips.

The both of us launch the snow at one another before I run after him, picking up some more to throw.

Just then, I'm hit in the back.

I turn around and another handful flies past me toward Jameson.

"You guys are having snowball fights without me? I'm offended" Xander remarks, placing his hands on his hips with a disapproving look.

"You're right Xander, how could we" I smile before I throw my handful at him and take off running once more.

Mostly everyone else in the house came to join in on the snow fight not too long after, the evening being filled with yells and laughs as we betray one another.

The fight dies down after about half an hour, everyone going inside once more apart from Xander.

"This is actually the first time I've been in this much snow" I laugh as Xander looks over to me, his eyes wide slightly.

"Really? God, I came here every winter growing up, it's just kind of what we've always done." Xander says quietly.

"Do you like it? Here I mean, like do you like the place? Do you like skiing?" He asks, looking over to me for a few seconds.

"It's amazing here, there's nothing not to like about all of it. And skiing, god skiing is amazing, I wish I had learnt how to so much earlier in life, it gives me this rush and I feel as though I need more of it" I let out a small laugh as the words leave my mouth.

"You're hungry for more. It's a weird way to describe it, hungry, but it's how Skye has always said Jameson is, hungry. He's the same though, he always needs that rush" Xander offers me a small smile.

The two of us head inside when it starts to get dark.

I join Grayson in his room, he's sitting on the corner of the bed, looking down at the palms of his hands.

"Hey" My voice is quiet as the word leaves my mouth.

"Hey" He repeats, not looking up to meet my eyes.

I slowly make my way over next to him, gently placing my hand on his forearm.

He tenses at my touch but relaxes only a second later.

"He doesn't want anything to do with me Ash, he said it loud and clear. He sought Skye out as revenge, he thinks Toby set the island on fire and he sought Skye out as revenge, I'm the product of revenge Ash" Grayson's voice is quiet but strained as he speaks.

"We don't know what happened on that island that night, we don't have anyway of knowing unless we find Toby and even then, we may not find out even then, but Sheffield Grayson isn't a good man, he doesn't know how amazing you are Grayson" My voice is quiet as the words leave my mouth.

"And you can feel pissed, you have every right under the sun to feel pissed, you can feel sad, you can feel whatever emotions you're feeling but you do not for any reason need to feel guilty Grayson, you did not cause any of it, you are innocent in this and they should be the ones feeling guilty." I say quietly.

Grayson and I sat there for a few hours, just talking.

There's commotion outside not too long after midnight.

I can hear Avery. I can her hear asking questions.

She's panicked.

I quickly move to stand, quickly walking out of the room and toward the commotion.

I see Avery standing there, asking questions still, she's wearing a swimsuit and she's still wet.

I quickly grab a towel, making my way over to her and wrapping it around her.

I sit with her for a while until Eli enters.

"Paparazzi?" Oren asks, direction the question to Eli.

"No. This was a professional." Eli says.

A professional?

"A professional what?" Avery beats me to asking the question.

There was no real point in asking it anyway because we didn't get an answer.

"Go pack. We leave at dawn" Oren directs at the both of us.

"What? Why? What is this guy a professional in that we need to leave at dawn?" I quickly ask. standing up from where Avery and I had been sitting.

"Go pack," Oren orders again.