Chapter Sixteen

I've never been to the actual Hawthorne Foundation before today, I never really needed to, I mean I learnt about it from Grayson in his wing.

But as  we step inside I can't help but gape slightly.

I know the photographs on the walls are work of Grayson's, he told me about them last week, they're something he's really proud of.

"If he says the phrase effective altruism, run" Xander warns. 

Avery snorts back laughter.

A door quickly opens and shuts close by, Grayson striding into the room.

His gaze settled on Avery for a second before shifting to his brothers then me.

"To what do I owe the honor, Jamie? Xan?"

Grayson mentioned that his brothers were never involved with the foundation, they had never wanted to be.

"I invoke the ancient rite of On Spake." Jameson quickly says.

Xander looks startled for a moment then delighted.

"The what?" Avery quickly asks.

"No speak." I quickly say.

"Anagram it" Grayson answered at the same time as me.

"No speak" Avery echoed a second later.

'Exactly" Jameson smirks.

"Once I begin telling him what I have to say, my dearest, darling older brother here can't say a single word until I finish." Jameson explains.

"At which point, if I choose, I can invoke the sacred rite of Taeb Nwod." Grayson explains.

"I believe those rules expired when I was ten."

"I recall no such expiration!" Xander quickly butted in.

"Beatdown seriously?"

"beatdown? You've got to be kidding me."

"It's a friendly beatdown, a brotherly beatdown" Xander assures Avery and I.

"More or less" He adds on.

"Well?" Jameson gives Grayson a look.

Grayson starts to take off his suit jacket, laying it on a nearby desk, I assume preparing for part two of this little deal.

"Whatever you have to tell me, Jamie, I'm all ears."

"We went to see the will the old man wrote right after Toby 'died'. yes, I know you think asking to see the will was a bad idea. No, I don't have any particular objection to bad ideas. Long story short, we found a list of charities. We need you to look through them and see what, if anything, you notice." Jameson took his sweet time telling Grayson.

Grayson arches an eyebrow, waiting patently.

"He can't talk until I cease On Spake."

"Let's just cherish the sound of silence for another moment" Jameson adds.

Grayson isn't being very patent anymore.

"Come on," Avery tells him.

Jameson sighs a heavy sigh.

"Cease On Spake."

Grayson starts cuffing the sleeves of his dress shirt.

"You two aren't actually going to fight, are you?" Avery quickly asks.

"They're not actually going to fight, are they?" She quickly asks Xander.

"Who can say?" Xander replies happily.