Chapter Three

The crowds of paparazzi are intense. Everyone is trying to get photos of inside the car.

Alisa is telling Avery to do something as I look out of the window.

The shouts suddenly get louder, meaning Avery has lowered her window.

I look outside, at the crowd, everyone calling out to Avery, asking her questions when my eyes land atop someone I recognize. 

Someone I could recognize anywhere because, of course, I have half his DNA.

My father.

My deadbeat father who never gave a care in the world for me, who never even took notice of me when he was there, which was rare in itself.

He pushed his way through the crowd, to the front.

I see Avery tense in her seat before winding up her window, she saw him as well.

"Ave?" Libby asks from her seat as we pull into a private parking garage.

"Did you know he'd be here?" Avery's voice was low as she was obviously pissed off.

"No! I swear!" Libby started, biting her bottom lip momentarily.

"But he just wants to talk" She continues, her eyes look guilty as the words leave her mouth.

There'll be a lot of baking done in the next few days.

 As we each stepped out of the SUV Avery spoke, "Lets do this" She plastered on a smile.

"For the record, the firm is perfectly capable of handling your father" Alisa spoke solely to Avery.

"Are you okay?" Alisa then asked, her eyes softening.

"I'm fine" Avery quickly spoke.

"Why wouldn't she be?" Grayson's voice pierced the air.

God am I glad to hear him.

"Why would Avery be anything other than fine?" He asked, stepping out of the elevator.

"Deadbeat dad made an appearance outside" Avery spoke, her voice low.

"It's fine" She spoke a bit louder this time.

Grayson made eye contact with her before his gaze shifted to Oren.

"Is he a threat?" He quickly asked. his eyes narrowing slightly.

"I don't need you to protect me" Avery quickly snapped.

"When it comes to Ricky, I'm an expert on protecting myself" She stalked past Grayson before quickly stepping into the elevator she had just stepped out of.

"It's not her I'm protecting" Grayson's voice was barely a whisper as his eyes met mine.

"Are you okay?" He asks me as he quickly made his way closer to me.

"I'll live" I let a small sigh escape my lips as he closes the distance between us, bringing me into a hug.

I could never get sick of his hugs, they're so warm and comforting.

"You ready to go up?" He asks, slowly pulling away from the hug.

He doesn't move away as our faces are still close, he gently tucks a small strand of hair back behind my ear as he leans down slightly. 

I kiss him gently before we both pull away smiles covering each of our faces before I nod, walking with him toward the elevator.

When the elevator doors open once more its to a room filled with people, people who are famous, people who have mastered the skills needed to make it out in the paparazzi.