Chapter Thirty-Seven

I can't help the feeling as though something is wrong.

A few hours after the interview Grayson, Avery, Alisa and Oren arrived back at Hawthorne House.

There was a high tension in the house as soon as they arrived.

It all felt off.

Grayson refused to look at me, same with Avery.

Alisa met my eyes and I couldn't help but look away, her stare was cold, angry.

"Did you know?" She asked, her voice stern.

"Know what?" I ask, looking toward Xander who was sitting next to me.

"About Toby. I know you knew Xander but did you know Ashlyn? Do you think he's your father?" She asked.

Her words were filled with venom.

I looked toward Avery, for help, then to Grayson but neither would look near me.

"Yeah I knew, but we don't know about the father thing, he signed Avery's birth certificate, he turned up and started playing chess with Avery right after our mother died and well, our dad never really acted as though we were his" I quickly say, looking down to my hands as I tried to not think about it too much.

"God did you all have so little faith in my loyalty?" She spoke, venom once again lacing her words before she shook her head and left.

"I take it yours didn't go the best either?" Xander asks, the two, trying to get rid of a bit of the growing tension.

"You could say that" Avery spoke, her voice quiet.

Suddenly Avery's eyes met mine.

"We need to talk" She spoke quietly, not looking away.

Grayson's head shot up, looking toward Avery quickly before turning toward me.

"Okay" I spoke, unsure of what was going on.

Avery and I started quickly making our way into one of the off rooms.

"Wait" Grayson quickly said, his voice sounded as though he was pleading, as though he was fighting an internal battle with himself.

I turned toward him for a second.

He didn't say anything for a few moments, just stood there, looking at me.

"I'm sorry" He spoke quietly, looking down once more.

"What for?" I ask, a pit of worry growing in my stomach.

I feel Avery grab hold of my hand gently, pulling me toward the door before closing it behind us.

"What's he sorry for? Do you know?" I ask Avery, she looks down.

"I didn't want to say it in front of Xander" She whispers.

I look at her, waiting for her to continue.

"During our interview they started asking about Toby, Grayson got us out of there but I almost said that he was our dad" Avery spoke, her voice slow.

"Grayson stopped me though, so I didn't say it" She looked up at me for a moment.

"Why would he be sorry about stopping you from saying it?" I quickly ask.

I see her swallow slightly.

"He stopped me by kissing me."

Everything froze.

Avery's looking at me now, probably just trying to gauge my reaction.

I don't know how to feel, on one hand, Grayson kissed Avery, but on the other hand, Avery almost told the world that Toby was our dad and she would've if he hadn't.

And on another hand, Grayson hated her when we first got here and now he spends a bunch of time with her and he's becoming distant with me.

"Oh" is all I can get out, I look around the room, trying to divert my attention.

"Well okay" I say, stepping toward the door once more.

I don't know where I'm going to go but I need to get out of this room.

It feels as though the walls are closing in on me, as though the air is getting sucked out of the room.

"Ash are you okay?" Avery asks, stopping me right before I open the door.

"Yeah, yeah I'm okay" I offer her a smile before opening the door and walking out.

As I stepped into the room with the boys once more I notice Xander is a lot closer to where Grayson stood.

"You idiot Grayson! I can't believe you right now" his voice is almost scary as he speaks.

"You wouldn't understand Xander you never will" Grayson's words are slow, they're quiet as they leave his lips.

"Xander, Grayson, please, just stop arguing" I quickly say, loud enough to interrupt the two before I start to make my way upstairs and to my wing.

I just want to sleep.

I want to be away from everyone and everything from today.

I just want to be away.

I quickly made my way toward my wing, locking myself in my room as I laid on my bed, watching the ceiling.

I close my eyes for a few seconds, imagining myself back in Libby's old apartment, alone, being able to escape from everything.

But of course, when I was alone there it was during school hours and Drake almost always was around at that time. He wasn't a fan of me skipping and he didn't tend to hide it from me, others, sure, but me? Oh he let me know.

I feel the tears escape my eyes as I relive every moment in my mind, I can't help the memories flashing through my head, I can't help the feeling of abuse lingering on my skin.

I feel my chest tighten as my breaths shorten, quickening with each breath.

"Ash can I come in?" A voice from the other side of my door speaks.

I panic, shooting up from my bed, quickly wiping my cheeks with the back of my hand.

My panic attack won't calm as I sit up slightly, my vision becoming unfoggy once more.

"Ash?" The voice speaks again.

I don't trust myself to speak so I stay silent, they could think I'm sleeping if I don't answer then I'm left alone.

"Ash answer the door please, I'm worried about you."

I know I have to answer it now.

I quickly stand up, making my way toward the door and unlock it, opening it slowly for Xander to peak his head in.

He quickly opens the door fully as he takes me in.

"Oh Ash" his voice is soft as he gently touches my shoulders, trying to comfort me in anyway he can.

[I had no right to do this.

Trust, it hurt myself to write this chapter.

I hope you all have a good rest of your 24 hour cycle.

Also look at me, back to regular updates]