| 𝒐𝒏𝒆| 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝒄𝒂𝒍𝒄𝒖𝒍𝒖𝒔 𝒕𝒆𝒂𝒄𝒉𝒆𝒓

August 29th

I'm Brianna Parker, an 18-year-old high school senior, and today marks the beginning of my final year in high school. The alarm clock blares its annoying tune, pulling me from my dreams. I groan and reach over to shut it off, but as I do, the realization sinks in—it's the first day of senior year. Reluctantly, I peel myself out of bed, my mind heavy with the weight of the upcoming school year.

I shuffle across my room to my cramped closet, where I know my dreaded school uniform awaits. Khaki pants and a black collar shirt I can't help but let out a heavy sigh as I pull them out, discarding my comfortable pajamas and resigning myself to the inevitable.

While I struggle into my uniform, memories of the previous year flood my mind. It was a tumultuous time filled with moments of rebellion, and at the center of it all was my partner-in-crime, Ella.

Together, we managed to push our calculus teacher to the brink of quitting. Now that she's in another school and I'm alone, this year I'm planning on being more calm since I have to make up for last year.

Once dressed, I bend down to pick up a pair of stray socks from the floor and slip on my shoes. A glance in the mirror reveals my perpetually frizzy hair, which seems to have a mind of its own. I grab my hairbrush and attempt to tame the unruly locks, although it's a battle I rarely win. Nevertheless, I managed to make it look somewhat presentable.

With a satisfied glance in the mirror, I add a spritz of my favorite perfume, put on my sweater, and hoist my backpack onto my shoulder. Surprisingly, it feels unusually light, housing only two notebooks and a pencil case.

Before departing my room, I grab my phone and idly scroll through Instagram, a habit that has become ingrained in my morning ritual. My mom greets me with warmth as I make my way to the kitchen. "You want breakfast?" I politely decline, saying, "I'll eat at school, Mom." She tells me, "You better behave this school year. I don't want to get those dreaded calls from the school like last year." I offer a casual "Yeah, yeah, bye" before stepping out the front door and taking in a deep breath of the crisp morning air.

;'0

The school grounds bustle with life as I arrive, and immediately I get flashbacks, making me chuckle. I sigh, noticing that I don't have my best friend with me anymore. Even if the hallways are filled with people, I feel lonely.

I put on my AirPods and put on some music as I walk around, seeing the posters on the walls.

After a bit, the bell rings, and I sigh, taking out my AirPods, putting them back in the case, and then into my pockets.

Determined to locate my first class, I navigate the labyrinthine corridors, eventually stumbling upon room 346 on the third floor. Inside is an elderly man with a surprisingly high-pitched voice, Mr. Murphy.

"Hello, guys, my name is Arthur Murphy. But I prefer if you guys call me Mr. Murphy or Mr. M, please." He takes a deep breath. "We can make this school year fun or bad, so you guys choose." He finishes and looks around. "Any questions?"

Suddenly, somebody raises their hands, and he nods at them. "Why is your voice like that?" They ask out of nowhere, and I can hear laughter in the back of the classroom. I looked back and noticed it was Jack, aka my ex-boyfriend. We dated when we were in 10th grade until I realized I was a lesbian.

Once Mr. Murphy concludes his introduction and the bell rings, I make my way to my next class, room 222. I have trouble, but I finally see the number down the hall. The universe has a sense of humor, as the bell chimes just as I approach the door. I knock, and the door swings open to reveal a woman with striking, almost otherworldly blue eyes.