Chapter 5: Queen Pandora

Start from the beginning

Her smile returned near immediately, a gap noticeable between her teeth. One that Erin didn't have... 

"I'll be going now—" I said quickly after a moment of silence, my wings ruffling behind me, sweeping the floor. "I'll see you in the throne room."

" 'Course." She grinned as I let myself out, my heart racing. 

Phew.

~

*please note that everything spoke for the rest of this chapter, unless specified, is elvish*

I fiddled with the fold of the traditional robes I wore, one of the many intricate ones, close to my neck. 

White and blues and golds all weaved into patterns lacing the fabric delicately. The diadem pressed against my forehead felt odd, a different shape from the one I used to wear, the king's crown. Miniature diamonds embedded within the gold only reminded me of the shattered remains of the chandelier when it had fallen during the fire...right before...—

I felt the ghost of a sting trace my chest just as my door swung open. I was surprised by who stood behind it.

My mother, the queen, was in the doorway. Her pale hands were folded so neatly in front of herself, it was hard to believe that she had even moved one to open the door. Her sleeves hung from her wrist, long and elegant, lined in white, made from a blue silk.

Pandora's expression was stern, the expression of permanent boredom from how her irises were set against her eyelids menacing. So much like her... how had I never noticed before?

My body remained frozen for several moments despite the signals my panicked brain was sending it, before finally I managed to tilt my head forward, arm crossing my chest, in a small polite bow as I always did whenever a parent or noble entered the room.

I cracked open an eye when I heard her speak.

"Oh, stop it." My mother exclaimed with a short exhale from her nose that I guess was supposed to be a laugh.

I blinked, raising my gaze again. The smallest of smiles traced the queen's soft pink lips, her eyes much more welcoming, though still stern, behind the rims of her glasses. I watched as her train of sight trailed down towards the crumpled fold of my robes.

Instantly she made a motion for me to come closer, waving her hand towards herself. I sighed, taking a step closer just as she did. "Mother—" I half-heartedly protested.

"Shh." She shushed, running her fingers nimbly along the folds to straighten them. A chill followed by goosebumps and another ruffle of my wings raced along from my neck down my spine as her fingertips brushed my skin, sliding beneath my collar.

The queen was nearly the same height as me, eyes raising only the slightest to look up into my face. She brushed my jaw with her thumb, a bit roughly, as if trying to rub something off, which she probably was.

I held still, almost afraid to breathe. My gaze traced along the curls of her hair, a few loops falling gracefully into her face before being pulled back into an updo, extra hair, blue and sleek, loose down her back. A few miniature braids were weaved through the ridges of her crown, holding it still, the gold matching her glasses.

I closed an eye again as Pandora tucked a strand of my own hair behind one of my ears, her knuckle brushing an earring. 

However, she spoke suddenly, taking me by surprise. And her words... 

"You got cold. Colder." She stated, her head tilting the very slightest to the left as she spoke, looking me up and down. Her words were sharp, concise... Planned.

"Oh?" I asked, confused, one of my eyebrows involuntarily raising out of habit. 

"Upkept. Like your father."

Those words sent even worse chills down my spine. Like him? I... 

"Regal," she continued, cutting off my thoughts. "I've been trying to pound it into you for years. Obviously, you didn't listen to me. Too emotional—" I bit back a scoff to avoid punishment...those words still haunted me. "—especially with that Wren around. So, what changed? Who changed you?" Her words weren't concerned. Instead, curiosity twisted between them, a kind of pitiless interest dripping from her lips. Knowledge. She had always craved knowledge... and control.

My jaw went stiff at the mention of the name, our nearly identical eyes meeting. No words were spoken...I knew she was trying to get something out of me...how it benefited her, I didn't know.

Silence.

Slowly, her fingers trailed away from my collar, down along the now even folds, before two of her fingertips hovered over my chest... right where the blade had pierced...

I felt the slightest bit of pressure as they settled over the spot.

The smallest of smiles curled her lips, satisfaction evident in her eyes despite the fact I had said nothing, before she stepped away. I watched her quirk her eyebrows, a knowing look passing over her expression, a look I knew well. "Hm." She exclaimed simply. And then, just like that, she made an abrupt turn, striding out of the room...

My heart seemed to pound in my throat.

She knew something...

But what?

***

This was another fun chapter to write :3

I like Pandora as a character- pity she's technically dead.

Anywhooo, lemme know what you think! Next chapter is also going to be a Scott pov! Get ready for some toxic Pandora and Rohan moments because I'm about to throw a shit ton right in your face! >:D

(and remember comments and votes are appreciated!)