My alpha tried to move even closer to him, but the pain in our stomach stopped it. The pain annoyed it, and it looked down to see what it was. It was probably the first time the damn idiot noticed we were deadly injured... The covers hid the bandages, so my alpha tried to reach for it, but Kieran stopped it.

"Better not touch it," the omega gently scolded us.

My alpha forgot the wound and turned its attention back to the omega, then to the baby sleeping between us. Kieran tensed and pulled his child tighter against his chest.

What was it about the baby that made him so scared...?

"Ares is asleep," Kieran said quietly. "You don't mind... right? It's fine if we sleep here? I don't want to go up there yet... I mean... If you don't want us here, then I guess..."

"You're staying here," I grunted.

We both kind of froze. I recovered first and wrinkled my nose at him.

"Your house is fucked, that's why," I added in a mutter, quickly turning away from him.

Kieran stayed silent for a small moment longer, but then he let out a sad sigh.

"It sounded like that, yeah..."

I could feel my alpha glaring at me inside my head. I could feel how lowly it felt about me. It couldn't understand how I could be so cold, especially since the omega was so broken. Especially after such a scary night. Especially since his nest was now ruined.

I let out a quiet groan. "What it's worth, I don't think they stole much."

"I didn't have much to steal, I suppose..." he murmured.

Except for the baby...

With my alpha still demanding more, I let out a breath and turned back to Kieran. He was watching his baby, slowly caressing his little cheek. He was tense. Even his eyes were tense, like he was fighting against tears.

And he was shivering...

"Get over here," I said, lifting the covers.

He looked up at me. He seemed a little shocked.

"You're cold, right? If you get sick, I get sick, and that's a shitshow neither of us wants," I said, keeping my voice harsh.

He still only stared at me, unsure of what to do.

"Your baby is freezing his butt off," I noted, though Ares looked comfortable wrapped in his little blanket.

But it was the only way to get this omega to think.

And he finally shifted closer to me. He was careful when he moved, and he kept a close eye on me, so I stayed still. Once he was as close to me as he could get without touching me, I pulled the covers over him. The duvet wasn't large enough for both of us to get comfortable, but at least it would keep us warm.

"Your basement is fucking cold, by the way," I muttered and looked away.

"Yeah... It's a bit chilly..." he said, but with less sadness in his voice.

I glanced at him, and our eyes met. He gave me a small, tentative smile. His scent grew stronger and surrounded me completely. I couldn't tell what he smelled like, though...

I felt my face getting a little hotter...

"I'm only doing this because you'll make a nice little private bitch," I grunted at him.

"Right, right..." he said with a short chuckle.

"I mean it," I said as coldly as I could.

"Okay," he only said, curled up around his child, and closed his eyes.