Part 1 | Chapter 1

Start from the beginning

"Let's go." You walked up to him, making the Garde snort.

"Alright, follow me."

You followed him down a long hallway, until you passed by the large panel you had noticed when you first entered the Fortress.

"I don't know how long you're down here for, but go ahead and take a good look. This is about as close to the outside world we can get." Deakin looked at you, watching your eyes follow a fish that trickled along the glass.

"Not long." You replied.

"Well, if you ever need help with anything, you can come find me..." Deakin smiled, making you roll your eyes.

Walking behind him some more, he showed you various spaces that had different purposes. The cafeteria, the production zone, and the infirmary.

"This is the Pankration Ring. Lots of people come here to blow off steam or to fight."

Finally, something that piqued your interest in this god forsaken underworld.

"How do you sign up?" You asked him.

He seemed to be surprised by your question. "Well... you can go inside and talk to one of the workers. He'll match you up with someone and schedule your fight. You can earn credit coupons if you win."

"Credit coupons?" You looked at him.

"Ah, I forgot! Credit coupons is what we use down here to do basically everything. Buy meals from the cafeteria, clothes from the Rag and Bone shop, or just to get some information out of someone."

"So mora is useless down here, in other words."

"Basically."

Well, at least you now didn't feel bad for giving that woman your mora pouch.

"I'll show you to your room." Deakin motioned for you to follow him, and you stole another quick look at the ring before stepping to his side.

Taking an intricate elevator to the top of the Fortress, you walked over to the female dormitories.

"Deakin, I thought I told you to— oh, who is this?"

Another Garde looked at you, holding a polearm in his hand. His eyes followed your body up and down before looking at Deakin.

"A new prisoner. She'll be staying here for a while." Deakin said.

"Ah, I see." The Garde stole another look at you before clearing his throat. "It's cold down here. You should find something to bundle up in."

Sumeru deserts were always dreadfully hot. Your body was exposed under the sun in revealing clothes in an attempt to stay cool. Now that you were deprived of the sunlight in the Fortress, not only would you lose your tan, but you were definitely going to get sick from the sudden change in climate.

"I'm alright." You said. "Where's my room?"

"I'll take you to it." The men replied in unison.

Again with this unnecessary chitchat.

"I'll just take myself. Thanks." You said, walking away from the arguing men.

"Oh, wait! Don't forget to find me if you need something!" You heard Deakin shout out.

Giggling, you walked down another hallway and into a longer one that stretched on either sides. You followed your gut and chose the left path, walking to the last door.

Sliding it open, you were relieved to find that it was vacant.

"Home sweet home, I guess." You muttered to yourself, stepping inside the room.

You figured that the room wouldn't be the tidiest. This was a prison, after all. You noticed the dirt and dust on the floor, with the ceiling too high for you to detail. The metals plates along the wall was clearly the only source of insulation that you would be provided with.

There was a small bed made in the corner of the room, followed by a desk. Next to that was another door, which led to a small bathroom that could only fit one person.

"At least it's clean." You said. There was a small toilet, sink, and shower as well. You thought about the water system in the Fortress, praying that you wouldn't be bathing in some nasty waste.

Walking back into the bedroom, you groaned to yourself.

"Ugh, I'm not supposed to be here..."

You had only visited Fontaine to see your mother. She ran a boutique here, and your father wanted to check up on her. However, he was busy with the desert life, per usual. So, you took it upon yourself to make a trip to Fontaine, only for a week.

Unfortunately, you would be here for three months.

"I should write him a letter." You walked over to the desk, popping open the drawers only to find that they were empty. You figured you would have to go out and buy some paper and an envelope with what Deakin said to be 'credit coupons'.

"Fuck it. I'm too tired anyways." You let out a sigh and walked over to your bed, plopping down on the mattress. It felt like a concrete slab, but you were used to sleeping like that anyways.

Kicking off your shoes and getting into a comfortable position, you tried to drown out the sound of the broken clock on the wall ticking away as the day progressed.