Chapter Twenty Six

The question sends daggers into my heart and I stagger back, out of his arms. Shit. Of all the things for him to believe, why did it have to be that? My reaction is enough for Phoenix and he lets out a ragged breath. He runs a large hand over his face and laughs dryly, the sound devoid of humor. He reaches for me again, but I take another step back. His face twists with hurt.

"Dahlia, my love, why didn't you tell me?" He asks quietly.

I shake my head quickly, stepping even further away until I bump into Viktor's cage. The cold metal bars startle me and I jump forward, away from them. Phoenix catches me, his grip on my upper arms tight. My thoughts are racing, fear overtaking many of them. I begin to tremble, terrified that he will hit me. Or worse, hate me.

"I knew you would be angry if I told you." My voice is small and hollow, barely audible to my own ears.

Phoenix chokes out another laugh. His grip on my arms softens and he slides one hand down to take mine. "Angry? Why would I ever be angry with you?"

I shake my head again. "Y-You need an heir, to be A-Alpha" I say, the words tripping over my tongue. "Infertility... it's so rare. I– I didn't know what to tell you. How to tell you."

"Dahlia..." The way he says my name – softly and with so much love – sends chills across my body. "I would never blame you for that. Never blame you for something you can't control." He takes me into his arms, surrounding me in his warmth.

The tears come before I can stop them, hot and uncontrolled. They stream down my face and into Phoenix's shirt, turning it dark. How long have I been holding this in? This guilt for taking away my mate's chance at having a child? The tears come stronger and my chest heaves with sobs. Phoenix rubs my back soothingly, as I had been doing for him just moments ago. He's muttering quiet nothings into my ear, reassuring me that everything's okay.

"Phoenix," I choke out through my tears. "I'm s-so sorry." A sob interrupts my words and I let out an anguished groan. "This is all my fault. I should have–"

"Stop, Dahlia," Phoenix says, halting my apologies. "Don't apologize. None of this is your fault."

I sniffle, taking a few deep breaths to calm my racing heart. Guilt still sends sharp shocks of pain through my chest, but I relax enough to pull away from Phoenix. I stare into his soft, blue eyes and see nothing but love there. A deep ache replaces the shocks and I realize how much I have missed him.

Although I have seen him all morning, he has been consumed with rage since he left for the emergency meeting last night. I haven't seen those soft, human eyes in what feels like an eternity. A confusing mixture of sadness and lust suddenly hits me and I stand on my toes, leaning in to kiss him. He hesitates for a moment before responding, tightening his grip on my waist as he draws me in further. Despite being in this room, right next to the cage of my abuser, my desire for my mate overtakes me.

I wrap my arms around his neck, one hand sliding through his hair and pulling him closer. A feral growl escapes his lips as he picks me up, sitting me on the edge of the table. He stands between my legs, pressing himself to me and I feel the hardness of him rubbing against my inner thigh. His lips are like fire against mine, burning me. He begins to pull at the hem of my sweater, his fingers trembling with his barely-controlled passion.

"Off," he growls, his voice rough with lust. I obey, tugging the sweater over my head and dropping it on the table beside me.

He groans at the sight of my bare chest, his lips instantly dropping to my collar. I gasp as he sucks at the skin there, goosebumps erupting over my entire body. He lifts a hand from my waist and caresses my breast, running his thumb along its peak. My breath is coming in shallow pants now as need surges through me.