Chapter Ten

Dahlia... Dah-ah-lia...

No, no, please.

Dahlia!

I wake with a start. I whip my head around, trying to get my bearings. I stop when I see Phoenix's long form under the blanket next to me, his eyes shut. I let out a sigh, staring at his sleeping face.

He must have come back while I was asleep. His features are soft with sleep, the tenseness that is usually painted across his features gone. I remain silent, studying the soft olive hue of his skin in the fading sunlight.

After a few moments pass, I glance at the clock on the wall, seeing that it is only 5:00 in the evening. Only a few hours have passed since Alpha Julian and my father were here. Why were they here?

My ears prick as I extend my senses beyond the room. The other floors of the house are mostly quiet, aside from the small noises coming from people's rooms. I push further into the front room and kitchen. I can hear soft muttering, but I can't quite make out who it is. I breathe in deeply, catching mostly Phoenix's scent, but also the scent of blood.

This makes me turn my head, looking at Phoenix again. He doesn't seem to be injured and his breathing is normal. Did something happen?

I shake the thought from my head and stand from the bed, tip-toeing to the bathroom. I catch my reflection in the mirror as I walk in and shudder. How had I changed so much in just a day?

My skin looks translucent, all color washed away. My curls stick out like black straw around my head. The usual golden of my eyes looks sickly and yellowed.

With no warning, my wolf pushes through my thoughts. You look like shit.

I narrow my eyes at myself, hoping she sees my distaste for her. No thanks to you. What happened?

You can't remember? Her voice is faint, but carries a hint of relief.

I shake my head. Remember what? Alpha Julian and my father were here. Phoenix ran away because... I pause, trying to piece the day back together. I furrow my brows at the mental block I am facing. Why can't I remember what happened?

There is a long silence before my wolf speaks again, her tone full of spite. There's no reason for you to remember. Memories suck – especially ours.

Oh, so you can remember? Are you keeping my memories from me? I grip the edge of the counter, staring intently at my reflection. I see my eyes change from dull yellow to the liquid amber of my wolf. My rage becomes her rage and a growl rumbles low in my chest.

These aren't memories you need, Dahlia. I'm just trying to protect you.

I scoff at her words and push at the mental wall she hides behind. They're my memories. I deserve to see them.

No! The word echoes in my head, causing me to flinch in pain. The pain only fuels my anger.

I'm not a little girl anymore! I'm an Alpha's mate, I'm strong enough to know! My words are like a sledgehammer, slamming against the wall, cracking her defenses.

Dahlia, please. You're safe now. Please let these memories stay in the past. They will kill you. Her voice is weak now, overwhelmed by the fury in my words.

I squeeze my eyes tightly shut and let out a frustrated internal scream, breaking past the mental barrier. My wolf whimpers and disappears, letting the avalanche of memories crash down on me.

My brain can't comprehend what I see. They seem unreal, as if on a movie screen. Flashes of a dark, cold room and the feeling of hot, sweaty hands lingering on my skin send me to my knees, my legs buckling under me. I see a face – his face – and feel my skin being ripped at, my clothes torn from my body. The memory feels so real, that I hug myself, bracing against the phantom cold.