Chapter Eighteen

We find Mikhail in his room, intensely focused on something on his laptop. When we enter the room, he doesn't look up.

"No."

Fiona scoffs in disbelief and reaches out to close his laptop. When it snaps shut, Mikhail sighs and looks up at us. Fiona crosses her arms and glares at him. "We didn't even say anything."

Mikhail rolls his eyes and taps his ear. "Cute cafe in a human town? Absolutely not."

Fiona smacks him on the back of his head. "Don't eavesdrop, you idiot! It's so rude."

"Ow!" Mikhail rubs the back of his head, his face contorted in pain. "It's not my fault you talk so loud."

"Your Luna has had a really shitty day and could really use some time out of this house. Can you ple-ease take us out to the town?" Fiona clasps her hands together in front of her chest and sticks her lower lip out.

Mikhail sighs heavily and looks at me. "Did Phoenix okay this?"

I avert my gaze and nod. "Sure."

"That was a lie."

"Yeah, it was a lie. But I still want to go."

He squeezes the bridge of his nose and lets his head drop back. "This is the day I die. Am I okay with dying? Maybe he won't kill me. Oh, but then he might castrate me, which is worse. All this because I'm too nice to say no to people."

Fiona stops pouting and hits Mikhail again. "Stop monologuing and get ready to go. We'll meet you at the front door in 30 minutes." She grabs my hand and turns to leave. As Mikhail shuts the door behind us, Fiona says, "And don't you dare snitch on us!"

Mikhail is standing at the front door with his arms crossed when we get downstairs. He's changed out of the normal clothes he was wearing this morning and has put on black cargo pants, a black t-shirt, and a pair of black sunglasses. He's also wearing black combat boots that he has tucked the pants into. He looks ridiculous.

"Oh my gods, what are you wearing?" Fiona asks, disgusted. "What is this, boot camp?"

Mikhail moves his sunglasses to the top of his head and leads us out of the house towards the garage. "If you guys are gonna play human, then I get to play bodyguard, okay?"

"You stick out like a sore thumb, Mikey." Fiona looks up at the sky and squints into the flurry of snowflakes that have begun to fall. "And it's colder than a witch's tit out here."

Mikhail just glares at her before entering the code to open the garage door. Fiona is right though. It's freezing cold out here today. Fiona is wearing thick jeans that hug her curvy frame and a heavy sweater in a shade of green that compliments her eyes perfectly. Seeing her dressed up actually makes me a bit jealous. She has all of the curves and shape that I wish I had. But I've been starved for so long, I'm all bones.

Finding something for me to wear took the whole 30 minutes of getting ready. Fiona finally settled on a thick, red dress and winter leggings. I'm still not used to wearing nice clothes that actually fit me, so it took a lot of convincing from her for me to put it on. She paired the outfit with a pair of black ankle boots and told me I look exceptionally human. I guess that's a compliment.

In the large garage is Mikhail's Jeep, recently washed and shiny. Despite being the same black as almost every other car in the garage, it sticks out for being massive and a bit gaudy.

The 45 minute drive to the city is filled with the familiar bickering between Mikhail and Fiona. It reminds me so fiercely of our Friday lunches that I almost suggest we go to the Greek restaurant. But as we approach the city and see how busy it is, I change my mind quickly. Mikhail parks in the lot up the road from the college and I start walking towards the coffee shop across the street almost on instinct.