Chapter 31

Yay! It didn't take me quite as long to get this one up. :D Anyway. Here it is.

As I walked into the empty house, I felt like Vincent was going to have to catch me. It took my breath away. The wooden floors had been refurbished and looked like they were brand new. The walls throughout the house had all been freshly painted in soft colors like crèmes and pastels. I walked into the back bedroom with Vincent, he and my dad had already moved in a bed and some dressers and a couple of boxes. I decided I'd go ahead and open them up and start putting some things away.

"You sure you can handle this by yourself, Chérie?" he asked me sweetly.

I gave him a smile, "Yeah, I've got this. You go help Dad bring in the sofa. I'll call out for you if I need anything."

"Ok," he said reluctantly and kissed me before leaving the room.

I got straight to work, unpacking boxes, putting clothes away, and putting sheets on the bed with my back to the door most of the time.

"It's such a nice house," I heard Meg say from the doorway.

I turned around, expecting to see my best friend, but instead I froze in my tracks. It was Francesca. I didn't scream. I didn't panic. I just stood there and watched her. She was standing there with her arms crossed and a malicious grin on her face.

"It would be a shame if something......bad...were to happen," she said as she began walking around the room, gliding her hand over everything and I began hearing a faint beeping sound. "Something like....a fire, maybe?"

The beeping got louder and I realized it was the fire alarm in the kitchen. I looked at the door then I looked to where Francesca had been standing- she was gone. She wasn't really there. She never was. I knew it was just a vision, but I didn't understand why I was hearing the alarm.

"Vincent," I finally allowed myself to call out; again, not in panic but calmly.

He came running into the room, "Yes, is everything alright?"

"The smoke alarm...is it going off?" I asked. I didn't know if I really was hearing it or if it was just in my head like she was.

"Yeah...your dad and I were testing it to make sure it's working properly," he looked at me reassuringly. "It just took us a few minutes to get it to stop beeping. I'm surprised you just now noticed it.

I sighed in relief. I was curious why I was seeing Francesca when I hadn't seen anything to remind me of what happened. I figured that I must've heard the alarm and it triggered something. I smiled though. I had gotten better at keeping calm. I still had visions and nightmares, but most of the time I was aware that it wasn't real and I was able to stay in control. Although, there were still some times that I couldn't control myself, but not every single time.

"I saw Francesca today," I admitted calmly to Vincent as we had dinner together in his almost-empty apartment. "...it was in my head though."

"You did?" He responded curiously. "When? Where?"

"It was when the alarm went off at the house. She said our house was nice and it would be a shame if something bad were to happen..." I stopped and got nervous. "What if she was right. What if something bad does hap-"

"Nothing bad is going to happen," Vincent interrupted me. "Remember- she wasn't REALLY there." He held my hand and smiled at me. "And if something bad does happen, then I'll be right there and I will protect you AND our child. I will ALWAYS be there to protect the both of you." He kissed me on the head then he rubbed my growing bump. "So please, don't worry. I love you."