Chapter 4

*Air Temple Dining Hall*

"And, in the final round, the Buzzard Wasps won with a decisive knockout!" Korra said excitedly as she read the morning paper. "What do you say we go to the arena tonight, catch a few pro-bending matches?"

"That sport is a mockery of the noble tradition of bending." Tenzin said dismissively.

"Oh come on Tenzin! I've dreamed about seeing a pro-bending match since I was a kid" Korra argued pointing to the arena across the bay. "And now we're just one little ferry ride away."

"Korra, you're not here to watch that drivel. You're here to finish your Avatar training. So, for the time being, I want you to remain on the island.

"Is that why you're keeping the White Lotus sentries around to watch my every move?" she asked, pointing out several guards posted around the dining hall.

"Yes, in order to learn airbending, I believe you require a calm and quiet environment free from any distractions."

"Father, I don't think this is the best way for Korra to learn airbending as she has never had that much freedom growing up and air is the element of freesom" Said Akira in his usual soft voice.

"Which is why I believe she would do well with some meditation after she finishes her first lesson for today." said Tenzin.

The discussion was closed after his words and all continued to eat their food, though, Tenzin did not see the apologetic look Akira threw Korra.

*Air Temple Training Grounds*

"Korra's gonna airbend, Korra's gonna airbend!" Ikki cheered, jumping up and down in excitement.

"What's that contraption?" Korra asked pointing to a circle of wooden gates, all standing in different directions.

"A time honored tool that teaches the most fundamental aspect of airbending" said Tenzin. "Jinora would you like to explain this exercise?"

"The goal is to weave your way through the gates and make it to the other side without touching them" Jinora explained, a textbook answer.

"Seems easy enough" Korra said confidently.

"Jinora forgot to say, you have to make it through while the gates are spinning" Ikki added.

Stepping forward Tenzin released a gust of wind, spinning the gates. "The key is to be like the leaf" he lectured, sending a leaf through the device to illustrate. "Flow with the movements of the gates. Jinora will demonstrate."

As Jinora skillfully maneuvered through the gates Tenzin continued his lecture. "Airbending is all about spiral movements. When you meet resistance you must be able to switch direction at a moment's notice."

Exiting the gates Jinora sent another air blast to get the gates spinning again.

"Let's do this!" Korra said determinately. Sadly determination alone wasn't enough to get through the gates.

"Don't force your way through!" Jinora advised.

"Dance! Dance like the wind!" said Ikki.

"Be the leaf!" said Meelo. But the airbender kids' advice didn't help much as a thoroughly bruised Avatar was once again flung out of the gates.

"Are you ok?" Akira asked, doing his best to cover the amusement in his tone. But he didn't try hard enough as Korra narrowed her eyes in annoyance.

Tenzin could only sigh as the disgruntled Avatar walked away.

Later that night Korra was doing her best to produce even a single puff of air, sadly to no avail.

"Argh, what is wrong with me?!" she yelled in frustration.