Chapter 10: Magic?

Start from the beginning

"I want to do something more special," Paru said, amused with your antics.

"Of course, no one appreciates my efforts anymore. Everyone is so ungrateful nowadays, ayyo." You sunk to the ground dramatically, making Paru laugh. 

"I'll be back in like two hours!" Paru yelled as she left. You tried to pass time for 15 minutes, but felt bored out of your mind, so you decided to see if anyone was free. Padhu was in college right now, and Lakshmi still had some time before her shift started, so you scrolled down to a different contact, hesitating to call but deciding to go through anyways.

"Hello?"

"Hey Rakesh, are you busy right now?"

"Hey y/n, not at all? What's up?"

"Nothing much. Paru left and I'm super bored, and I didn't know what to do so I called you to see if you were free to hangout."

"Yeah of course, do you want me to come pick you up?"

"No, I'll come to the office instead. You're there right now, right?"

"Yeah. Just stay there, I'll send a car for you."

"Are you sure, I can just book a cab."

"I insist."

"Okay, I'll see you soon then, bye!"

"Bye!"

As soon as you ended the call, Rakesh immediately started to clean up his cabin, calling a janitor to come wipe the tables and take out the trash. He ordered a watchman to go out and buy your favorite snacks, then rushed to the washroom to freshen up a bit. God, why did I wear blue today, I look way better in black. Rushing, he made sure his room was ready for you, and informed everyone that he would be busy for the next few hours, and to not disturb him. Another watchman informed him that your car had arrived, so he quickly sat down at his desk, pulling out a small hand mirror and making final adjustments to his hair. A knock was heard at his door, and he put away the mirror, smoothing out the nonexistent wrinkles in his clothes one last time, and opened the door.

"Hi y/n!"

"Hi!" He led you inside, and you set your bag down on the coffee table in front of the small sofa. You were dressed in a blue blouse with creme colored trousers, unintentionally matching his outfit. "Hey, look at that, we're twinning."

"Twinning?" Rakesh was confused.

"In the US, when people match outfits, they call it 'twinning,' because it's like how parents make their kids wear matching outfits," you explained. 

"I think matching is a better term." Rakesh sure as hell did not want you to consider him as a brother. You hummed, leaving the topic. 

"Oh yeah, I brought you something!" You pulled out a thermos in your bag and opened it, revealing a samosa. "Here, have one." Rakesh took one and bit into it as you looked at him intently. "How is it?"

"It's really good!" 

"Really? I made it!" you exclaimed.

"Wait, actually? You're so good," Rakesh complimented you. 

"It's really nothing, anyone could do it," you said modestly.

"No y/n, you're actually so talented. You're smart enough to be a doctor, talented enough to sing, dance, and cook."

"Aww, you're so sweet Rakesh." You leaned in closer, him mimicking your actions. "Don't tell anyone, but I'm actually really clumsy, that's how you know God is fair," you giggled. 

Ahhh, y/n is so cute. How could you make him feel like this so easily? It was getting harder and harder to control himself around you. 

"Do you have any work to do? I feel bad for disturbing you while you're busy," you said.

Rakesh waved you off. "Not at all, I'm actually pretty free today." That was a total lie, but he could easily catch up tomorrow. "Do you want to go out somewhere?" 

"Nah, I just didn't want to be alone. All of my other friends are busy," you said.

"Other friends?" Rakesh asked, not wanting to be your last resort.

"Yes Rakesh, I have other friends. You know, like Paru, Padhu, Lakshmi." Phew. At least you didn't say any boy's names. "By the way, are you coming to the Miss India pageant? I heard it's in Vizag this year."

"Yeah, I think our whole gang is going, - me, Suresh, Ajay, Nagi. You're coming too, right?"

"Of course! Where else would I be when my friend is competing?" you said incredulously. Great! Now he would have a chance to get closer to you while Paru was busy.

You guys continued to talk for the next couple of hours, snacking on some of the things he got for you. Rakesh was sad to see you go, but overall very content with spending time with him. It was only a matter of time before he asked you out.