Ghost Chase Part 20

Addie snorted. "I would advise them to take what you just said with a grain of salt. While I do have a mission, it isn't exactly life and death for my descendent to have the pistol."

"True, but was obviously important to you when you were alive, so it is driving you now."

"Well, as you just learned I used my power, once a year, to make sure the bank renewed my safe deposit box. I think being a ghost is like anything else, if you keep exercising, you get stronger."

I hadn't had many conversations with spirits about the nature of their existence. Even the more focused ones tended to concentrate on resolving whatever issue was keeping them in the world of the living. She reminded me of Nick, the ghost of a police detective, who had been a low-level necromancer in life. I'd also heard that the spirits of witches and psychics tended to be more grounded then other restless dead. Was it possible that Addie had some type of supernatural power in life?

"Addie, I think there's more to it than you're admitting. Did you have some sort of power when you were alive?" I asked.

She narrowed her eyes. "The rumor was my grandmother was a witch, if that's what you mean."

"I could see that. Witches have a connection to the place where they live. Your knowledge and love of different parts of Seattle might be keeping you yourself."

"Maybe so, but I think there's more for you to learn about ghosts."

I laughed. "That is certainly true."

Beth and Miss French returned with yet another metal box. It had the initials "AB." Beth set it on Miss French's desk and we all studied it for a long moment. Beth looked like she was holding her breath. Without a word she opened the lid. The pistol inside wasn't too fancy. It had a dark wood grip and seemed very slim to me. It didn't look like your typical "old west" pistol from the movies.

Bill reached out like he was going to touch it, but then held back. "It looks like an authentic Remington 1858 new model army revolver. It was rumored to be the first gun Bill owned."

Addie said, "He did say it was his first revolver for his first true love, but he was pretty drunk at the time."