The Collision Expands - Chapter 32 - Derrick/Candace featuring Chris

Start from the beginning

I promised Linnie last night that I wasn't going to play games with Derrick the same way I did with Donny. I didn't really need her to tell me that. Linnie and I had a real long talk last night to try and bury the hatchet, and to the surprise of both us, we've created an almost a sisterly bond. I confessed to Linnie that I've always truly loved Donny since we were kids and what Donny called playing games was just me being immature and selfish.

 I didn't want Donny to forget about me because, I'm like Linnie, I also believe in that destiny stuff and felt Donny was mine and eventually we'd end up together. I know that doesn't make any sense since I married Carlo but like I said, I was selfish. I wanted my cake and eat it, too. I played my games for too long and now I know that he and Linnie were meant to be together. This trip ii partly about discovering if it's possible that Derrick is my destiny even though we just met. This is a chance for us to get to know each other more.

We arrive back in the mainland and make our way to the restaurant of Derrick's choosing. I don't know what's come over me but as I'm walking with Naldo in one hand, I decide to take Derrick's hand in my other one. It looks like I caught him off guard, he doesn't say anything or make any facial expression, he just looked down at our hands clasped together, then looks back at me and then continues walking. I think he felt the same thing I just felt from the moment of physical contact. Just like yesterday, there was a surge of electricity running through my arm and struck my heart.

Derrick-

I don't know what it is about this woman but even Linnie never made me feel this way. In fact, no girl has. This is what love at first sight means. Her hand is so delicate and soft against my skin. I think I may faint.

We make our way to my mom's old neighborhood. It's where my mom, Ashley, was living until moving to Jersey. I liked coming here but as we get closer, I start hearing noises. Shit. I forgot this is a predominately black neighborhood, near Harlem, How could I forget? There's this group of guys always standing at the corner, I'm actually friendly with them but they're loud, obnoxious, perpetually unemployed bums.

They're catcalling Candace, whistling and making wolf howling sounds. I can see the concern on her face. I pick up Naldo and hold him in one arms and then I gently wrap my other around Candace's shoulder and pull her closer to me and we pick up the pace.

Naldo starts fearfully, clutching my neck and cries something over and over in Italian. Candace shushes him and says something comforting. I know this isn't the right time, but when she speaks Italian, even though I can't understand it, is equal parts beautiful and equal parts sexy. 

"Hey, baby girl," one of the thugs call out, his name's Daryl, "where's your fine ass headed, maybe I can be of assistance. What're you doin' with this Uncle Tom, anyways?" His homies laugh.

"Leave us alone, Daryl." I say, then I turn to Candace, "Let's turn around we'll go somewhere else. I haven't been here in quite awhile I forgot how it is here, I'm sorry for putting you and Naldo in danger."

"Hey, do I know you!? How you know my name!?" Daryl shouts, "Hold up. Dee? Is that you, Dee?!"

"Daryl, we don't want trouble," I explain calmly, "we're just headed to Mac Shack. My friend and her son are visiting the City, so please, don't live up to the stereotype of us black folks and just let us pass." He holds up his hands like he gives up

"Hey, Dee, I ain't no toll taker," he says, "go on right ahead. I just wanted to catch up and meet your dime piece here." Again, he's looking at Candace. Naldo then yells something out in Italian in fear and Candace say something to try and calm him.

"Please, Daryl, you guys are scaring the boy!" I'm pleading with him

"Hey, is that Italiano I hear, Dee?" Daryl asks. Shit again. I forgot about his beef with the Italians.